[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Proposed Agreement for Original Registration Date

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Sep 21 14:26:28 UTC 2017

Before we expend too much effort of calling for fields like Original
Registration Data (ORD) we should probably brainstorm a simple
benefit/cost analysis here. I have found that current registrant, and
date of that particular registration, suffice for analysis most of the
time. For LEAs, I suspect that much of the time the current registration
data provides a starting point, or complement to, their non-registration
data evidence pursuit efforts.

There are two questions here. How hard is it to do this well? -AND- Is
there a compelling reason to do it?

Sam L.

On 9/21/2017 10:16 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:
> Please note that we moved away from providing an actual date in our
> proposal as that would be hard to get right and therefore can lead to
> erroneous results. Instead we proposed that should such a field be
> supported by the WG (which I am not a big fan of), it should rather be
> a simple marker whether there has been a known previous iteration of
> this string having been registered with a different ROID: (Yes), (No),
> (unknown).
>
> Personally, I think a RDS entry for a domain should only ever refer to
> that ROID, but YMMV
>

> Best,
>
> volker
>

> Am 21.09.2017 um 15:27 schrieb Andrew Sullivan:
>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 03:21:27PM +0200, Paul Keating wrote:
>>> Question:  What is the definition of ³Original Registration Date².
>>> How does
>>> it operate when a domain has expired and is re-registered?
>> The idea is to track the date of creation of a previous domain object
>> that had the same name.  Note that some of us who worked on this
>> problem have some reservations, which is why we have recommended
>> something else.
>>
>> Best regards,

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852