[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reminder of rationale for ORD (was Re: Proposed Agreement for Original Registration Date)

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Fri Sep 22 01:46:08 UTC 2017

Thank you; very helpful.  So the problem this field is trying to solve is: (high-value) domain names that have somehow lapsed or been deleted due to subversion of the registrar account.

There are three ICANN Consensus Policies in place that were specifically designed to help prevent and/or mitigate that problem:
1.  The Expired Registration Recovery Policy (a.k.a. Redemption Grace Period)
2.  Expired Domain Deletion Policy
3.  Restored Names Accuracy Policy

UDRP and/or URS may apply in some cases too.

And there is the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy. Uunauthorized transfers, i.e. domain theft, are a bigger problem than malicious deletions.  And the Additional Whois Information Policy marks domains hat have been deleted and are in redemption and delete period.

So the problem has been covered by a great deal of policy-making.  No one has demonstrated that the above policies are failures and that an additional one is needed to solve the problem described above.

All best,
--Greg