[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reminder of rationale for ORD (was Re: Proposed Agreement for Original Registration Date)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Sep 22 13:46:21 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 01:46:08AM +0000, Greg Aaron wrote:
> Thank you; very helpful.  So the problem this field is trying to solve is: (high-value) domain names that have somehow lapsed or been deleted due to subversion of the registrar account.

Note that this is only what I think.  Please keep in mind that I'm not
actually a proponent of any of this: I was opposed to adding the ORD
in the first place, but I suggested the indicator or counter fields as
a way to deliver something similar that didn't have the problem of
false precision that the date field did.  At the same time,

> There are three ICANN Consensus Policies in place that were specifically designed to help prevent and/or mitigate that problem:
> 1.  The Expired Registration Recovery Policy (a.k.a. Redemption Grace Period)
> 2.  Expired Domain Deletion Policy
> 3.  Restored Names Accuracy Policy

I don't see how those solve the problem that this effort was aiming
at, because the point of this field is not to protect the domain name
holder, but those relying on the domain name (and therefore not
protected by registration rules).  The idea is that one can use the
additional field as a clue that Something Funny is Happening.

I confess that I am sceptical this proposed feature really helps,
because if you knew the prior state of the name then you could have
saved its ROID (which is available in the output now and which is
automatically going to be collected because the SRS requires it).  If
you could know that, then you could keep track of the ROIDs of
high-value domains, and if that ROID changes then you know just as
much as if crDate != origCrDate.  At least, that's as far as I can
understand the use cases.  But I note that actual proponents of the
ORD have been pretty quiet in this discussion.  Perhaps someone who
thinks it would be a good idea would like to weigh in.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com