[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

Vayra, Fabricio (Perkins Coie) FVayra at perkinscoie.com
Fri Sep 22 14:51:44 UTC 2017

Colleagues – Since our call this week, Stephanie’s comments/concerns about the need for ICANN staff to better coordinate with us regarding proposed meetings/conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners has been weighing heavily on my mind. (Stephanie – I hope I’ve properly paraphrased you here)

I couldn’t agree more with Stephanie and find it incredible that ICANN, despite our ongoing efforts and the plethora of published community concerns, are continuing with the approach of rushing to discussions with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners “half-cocked.”  Putting aside the apparent widely shared view that this approach is misinformed and dangerous, it’s simply redundant of and does not take advantage of our work within this PDP process  -- one could even say that it runs counter to the bottom up and community led initiative on RDS/WHOIS.

To that end, I think we need to more affirmatively address this issue with ICANN by sending the CEO and Board Chair a letter requesting that they immediately hit “pause” and coordinate with us before moving forward.  While we may not agree on many issues, we are all clearly trying to find the right outcome for RDS/WHOIS and have all invested a lot of time to this issue.  As a result, I’m hopeful that others, including Stephanie, will agree to take up this call to action with me before it’s too late.

Finally, further prompting my aggravation on this issue is the fact that I’ve learned that ICANN and Council of Europe are organizing a side event -- ICANN and Privacy -- at next week’s Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners in Hong Kong on 9/27: https://www.privacyconference2017.org/eng/programme.html.  I don’t believe that we’ve been informed of this, let alone the broader ICANN community.

Thanks,

Fab

Fabricio Vayra
PARTNER | [cid:image001.jpg at 01D054C5.01001EE0]
700 Thirteenth Street, N.W. Suite 600
Washington, DC 20005-3960
D. +1.202.654.6255
F. +1.202.654.9678
E. FVayra at perkinscoie.com<mailto:FVayra at perkinscoie.com>

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.