[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

Dotzero dotzero at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 19:24:40 UTC 2017

Stephanie,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Comments in-line.

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Stephanie Perrin <
stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I am going to attempt to answer your question.  Has there been a case
> against ICANN and the WHOIS that has gone to the European Court of
> Justice?  not that I am aware of, and I have looked.  Have the data
> protection commissioners been warning ICANN that the WHOIS is violating EU
> law?  Most assuredly, since 1998, actually.  CHeck the Annual report filed
> by Stefano Rodota, then Chairman of the Article 29 Working group, Available
> on the EC website.

 Not having the full history of who said what to whom when, I'm at a
disadvantage. I'll look for the annual report.

> Volker's point is that the fact that there has not been a case yet does
> not mean the Data Commissioners are wrong, it means noone has taken a
> case.  And quite frankly, they ( the article 29 Working Party) knew that
> the Safe Harbor agreement was not "adequate", but they had to accept it.
> (political compromise).  The fact that it took a lawsuit filed by a student
> to get the Safe Harbor agreement thrown out, after the gallons of ink that
> has been spilled in the intervening years (17, if you are counting) only
> amplifies the risk, in my view.  Data commissioners are being challenged as
> never before to enforce the law.
>
>From my perspective, both Safe Harbor and Data Shield are somewhat
irrelevant in that organizations are self certifying. I specifically asked
for cases because those tend to be the strongest and clearest precedent.

> As for privacy proxy solving the problem, it does not.  Over collection is
> not solved by providing a proxy in the third party disclosure mechanism.
> It is still over-collection, disproportionate to needs. Data escrow and
> data retention are also not in compliance with the GDPR, and while they are
> somewhat out of scope for this PDP, the fact that the elements cited as
> requisite for WHOIS are also the elements required for data retention and
> disclosure makes the waters rather muddy.  The data commissioners are
> unlikely to worry themselves about the scope of our PDP, they are expecting
> ICANN to come up with a set of requirements (as data controller) that
> complies with law.

It's not clear to me whether whois is over collection or not because people
seem to be talking past each other as to the use(s) of whois (primary and
secondary) and the impact on the Internet ecosystem of pruning back to
various degrees or even eliminating whois entirely. Depending on where
people sit and the constituency(s) they assert they are representing, I
hear differing statements as to the purposes and justification for whois.
Where you stand depends on where you sit.

I'm still cogitating on things.

> I hope this helps.

It does.

> Stephanie Perrin