[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] WSGR Final Memorandum

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Wed Sep 27 03:25:09 UTC 2017

> On Sep 26, 2017, at 7:17 PM, John Horton <john.horton at legitscript.com <mailto:john.horton at legitscript.com>> wrote:
>
> Much of this problem goes away if we all agree that EU-based registrars should henceforth only be allowed to accept registrants in the EU. Aside from the effect on EU registrars' revenue, what's the logical argument against that from a policy perspective?
>
> After all, isn't the purpose of the GDPR to protect EU residents?

That's correct, but the conclusion is not. Non-EU registrars are also subject to GDPR if targeting EU customers, which could be as simple as providing services in EU languages and accepting registration transactions from the EU.
So, for the problem to go away non-EU registrars would need to block EU registrants, and registries would only be able to enter contracts with non-EU registrars.

So EU users would either be happy using numeric IP addresses, or develop a naming system of their own. Then we would have balkanisation, this time actually including the original balkans.

Rubens