[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] WSGR Final Memorandum

jonathan matkowsky jonathan.matkowsky at riskiq.net
Wed Sep 27 21:03:51 UTC 2017

Assuming for argument's sake that's true without taking any position as I'm
still catching up from a week ago, I'm not sure this should be dismissed
without consideration as a possibility, although obviously not by any
stretch of the imagination ideal --> non-EU registrars block EU
registrants, and registries contract with non-EU registrars.

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at nic.br> wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2017, at 7:17 PM, John Horton <john.horton at legitscript.com>
> wrote:
>
> Much of this problem goes away if we all agree that EU-based registrars
> should henceforth only be allowed to accept registrants in the EU. Aside
> from the effect on EU registrars' revenue, what's the logical argument
> against that from a policy perspective?
>
> After all, isn't the purpose of the GDPR to protect *EU residents*?
>

> That's correct, but the conclusion is not. Non-EU registrars are also
> subject to GDPR if targeting EU customers, which could be as simple as
> providing services in EU languages and accepting registration transactions
> from the EU.
> So, for the problem to go away non-EU registrars would need to block EU
> registrants, and registries would only be able to enter contracts with
> non-EU registrars.
>
> So EU users would either be happy using numeric IP addresses, or develop a
> naming system of their own. Then we would have balkanisation, this time
> actually including the original balkans.
>

> Rubens

This message was sent from RiskIQ, and is intended only for the designated
recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and
may be subject to confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated
recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you
receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you.