[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:00:29 UTC 2017

​The "data controllers" here do not exist in a vacuum.  While registrars
and registries need to be free to make many types of decisions in their own
business judgment, that cannot be an absolute rule.  This is at odds with
the ICANN model, consensus policy, etc.  In this case, the data controllers
are part of a larger ecosystem, and the "needs" go beyond the individual
business needs of each data controller. (Indeed, the individual data
controller has its own database of information for its business needs.)

As I previously noted, we are going back to first principles -- which is
not necessarily a bad thing.  Why does ICANN (and by extension, the
Internet) need WHOIS/RDS?  That is the question.  Not "why does a
particular [registrar/registry] need WHOIS/RDS?"

Greg​