[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] WSGR Final Memorandum

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Wed Sep 27 22:22:03 UTC 2017

IMHO, If ICANN cannot figure out how to make a proper functioning WHOIS
policy, we have to remember that the community at large will, and then
simply, ICANN will loose relevance on this issue.

No one passed a law that a mail server had to have a functioning PTR
record, (well yes, some international spam legislations clearly spelled
out the need for clearly specifying the operator) but if you want to
send email today, functionally you need a PTR record.

Only problem is, that often it is the biggest players that set those
standards, and it is the role of organizations like ICANN to level the
field, and make sure that directions aren't dictated by the biggest
players on the block, and never more so in a world of consolidation and
cloud providers.

I think it was Yahoo that was one of the first big players to simply not
accept connections from IP(s) with no PTR, and I know we were one of the
early adopters to that strategy..

So, I can see a day that if privacy advocates and/or EU legislation
fears prevent such a Best Practice as proper WHOIS records, the service
providers will simply choose practices, such as 'you cannot access our
service unless you have public whois information available'.

It would be far better if ICANN can understand the importance of that
need, and make a statement that everyone can get behind and point to,
that levels that field, in 'spite' of possible contradictory privacy
information.

Let's just simple keep these two conversations separate, one should NOT
affect the other, this isn't a privacy vs information publishing
standards issue, we can have both.

(And again, I assert that simply 'informed consent' can always deal with
any situations where they conflict)

	-- Michael --

PS, my concern is that this lengthy wrangling prevents real work from
getting done, and the participants who are integral to this conversation
will fall by the way side, and the lobbyist's will simply wear them down ..

Some of us have real jobs too..