[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

nathalie coupet nathaliecoupet at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 16:46:15 UTC 2017

Volker,
I believe what you are failing to grasp here is what Bertrand de la Chapelle (I think it was him) referred to as the difference between Governance of the Internet (through a litteral and restrictive application of laws that do not take the specificity of the medium, i.e. the Internet, into consideration) and Governance on the Internet (which does).
We should move one and focuse on Sam's intelligent questions.   Nathalie Coupet

    On Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:34 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

 Hi,

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 06:18:57PM +0200, Volker Greimann wrote:
> As even IP addresses have been held to be sensitive personal data that may
> not be stored without need, the same goes doubly for contact details.

We appear to have entered, once again, the hall of mirrors where we
talk about collecting $thing in the abstract, instead of paying
attention to the specific purposes that we have already debated at
length.  Couldn't we concentrate on whether this or that bit of
collection is needed in order to support the needs of the Internet we
have already discussed?

As near as I can tell, we have quite clearly articulated reasons why
both IP addresses and contact details need to be collected for domain
name registrations.  Is that even controversial now?

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com