[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

theo geurts gtheo at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 28 18:06:55 UTC 2017

Hello Andrew,

1 I agree you need to be specific, but also you should ask, would a DPA
accept it? Regardless if that is a DPA in Europe or China or Jamaica.
Setting the baseline to the GDPR would be a mistake, these data
protection laws are always in motion. As such you need to implement data
protection principles when you define purpose. Did we really do that?

2 I am not sure if there is a misapprehension. I do think we did not go
out of the box far enough. We somehow keep circling back to the WHOIS,
and that is somewhat strange given the composition of the WG.
We did put a ton of work into looking at the current data elements and
all that, but we never into the concept of no WHOIS/RDS and come up with
a solution in such a scenario.

If we want to convince these policymakers of what we are facing abuse
wise, we must do better.

Theo