[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] ICANN Meetings/Conversations with Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Fri Sep 29 15:38:18 UTC 2017

Hi Allison,

Escrow: that depends. As escrow is currently handled in the US, someone
in the US may decide to access that data using legal means and use it
for purposes it was not intended for. US courts have been known to make
such rulings regarding foreign data held by US companies. No customer
ever agreed to that. Escrow in itself would have to be consented to by
registrants as it relates to handling and passing on of their private
details. Escrow could be a choice as well, but currently it is mandated.

That raises the question if under the RDS regime, escrow would even be
needed as the RDS could conceivably, depending on how it is organized,
fill that same role.

And yes, i assumed it will remain static for easier calculation. In
reality it will likely decrease over time, however the exact number is
irrelevant since over the number of overall new registrations, it will
still be millions of spam messages originating from whois data being
available.

As for your accusation and name-calling, I have addressed that off-list
and will no longer comment on it publicly as it does not benefit the
group nor contribute to the discussion.

Best,

Volker

Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851