[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Krebs On Security article RE whois and GDRP

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Fri Feb 16 08:42:58 UTC 2018

Brian Krebs is someone who I hold in high esteem, so of course I did read his article. And he raised some points that saw me legitimately pause and reflect.

And then I read the comments. Why? Because anonymity sometimes gives people the courage to say things online that they wouldn’t ordinarily share.

Given the readership of Krebs' website, which I suspect attracts an equal number of cybercriminals to security researchers, I found the honesty - that some are using WHOIS for malicious purposes - to be very refreshing.

I never said read only that comment; I said, "the comments are certainly worth a read," and they are. There are other insightful comments: a security researcher who says WHOIS data is being abused, a long-time reader who disagrees with Krebs and says we can "get the cyber criminals and our privacy at the same time", another who notes the "incredible [nuance]" of the GDPR which they say "seems to *actually be aimed at trying to solve the problem*."

So please, do read all of the comments.

Ayden