[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Speed & Rate-of-Return on Effort

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Mon Mar 19 14:44:53 UTC 2018

All,

I have deliberately remained quite with regard to how we have been
doing, but my concerns are prompting me to make this one statement.

By most measures we have been moving painfully slow, at considerable
cost in terms of ICANN resources and in terms a return-on-our-effort. In
my estimation the issue is NOT a question of "legitimacy" but of
efficiency and effectiveness. I won't suggest a benchmark against which
to judge progress, but will point out (stress) that the issues we are
dealing with have become issues within Internet governance /writ large.
/My personal concerns are two: (a) our pace of progress and the rate of
return on our effort, and (b) the risks that the pdp-wg output, and what
gets implemented by ICANN within its remit, will be constrained (or
circumscribed) by developments elsewhere.

That leaves open the possibility that the work of this group, while
legitimate, gets marginalized or becomes irrelevant.

Respectfully submitted,

Sam L.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Visiting Prof, Xi'an Jaiotong-Liverpool Univ, Suzhou, China
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852