[Gnso-rpm-tmch] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat for RPM TMCH Sub team meeting on Friday, 19 August 2016

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Fri Aug 19 17:41:10 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance, MP3 recording and Adobe Connect chat below for the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) TMCH Sub Team call held on Friday, 19 August 2016 at 15:00 UTC.
MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-tmch-19aug16-en.mp3
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-tmch-05aug16-en.mp3>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the Sub Team wiki page:

https://community.icann.org/x/XgusAw

Attendees RPM TMCH Sub Team:
Edward Morris
Grace Mutung’u
Jeff Neuman
Khouloud Dawahi
Kathy Kleiman
Kristine Dorrain
Philip Corwin

Apologies:
Kurt Pritz

ICANN staff:

Mary Wong

David Tait

Michelle DeSmyter

Main RPM Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/rhiOAw

Sub Team Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/XgusAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 19 August 2016:

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the RPM TMCH Sub team meeting on Friday, 19 August 2016 at 15:00 UTC.
  David Tait:michelle, if I email you a document would you be kind enough to upload it to the room?
  David Tait:I'm having some trouble.
  Jeff Neuman:Lets see if the email sent last week gets additional attendees :)
  Michelle DeSmyter:absolutely!
  David Tait:Thanks!
  Michelle DeSmyter:I will watch for it
  Kathy:Hi All!
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Hi everyone!  I didn't get a calendar entry for this week's call so had to rely on memory.  Did anyone else miss the appointment?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:I only ask because I fear that would reduce participation if it's simply not on people's calendars.
  David Tait:The links for today's call https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/61606228/TABULAR%20SUMMARY%20OF%20TMCH%20DATA%20–%20updated%2016%20August%202016.docx?version=2&modificationDate=1471367325000&api=v2 andhttps://community.icann.org/download/attachments/61606228/Action%20Items%20%26%20Suggestions%20from%20Sub%20Team%20call%20-%2012%20August.docx?version=1&modificationDate=1471364768000&api=v2
  susan payne:I don't think I got a calendar invite either Kristine, although I did get David's emails with agenda etc
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Yes, I got the agenda emails as well.
  Philip Corwin:Hello all. Apologies for being a few minutes late.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Hi Phil
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Thanks David, sounds good.
  Mary Wong:We tried to use time intervals that would be consistent yet useful - and as mentioned, this is all information from the TMCH and available ont their website
  Mary Wong:@Jeff, that's a good point - the TMCH says "marks submitted" but not "labels or SMD files generated"
  susan payne:yep
  susan payne:I think that would be based on the tm registraion
  susan payne:ie it could be UK, could be pan-EU depending on the mark
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Yes, Jeff, that's my recollection.
  Mary Wong:That is our understanding as well
  Kathy:I think Mary and David are doing a great job compiling data;
  Kathy:and we are doing a good job raising the initial set of questions - to help the WG.
  Jeff Neuman:Good point susan
  Mary Wong:@Susan, that is what we assumed as well
  Mary Wong:Hence "jurisditions" vs "countries"
  Mary Wong:These are all direct quotes from the AG Draft Report
  Mary Wong:@Kristine, we note that the AG was careful to use the phrasing "predominantly located"
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Yes, me too!
  Philip Corwin:Staff--Iam trying t download this document and am getting a message that the download path is invaid. Has this been circulated to subgroup members in this form? Thanks
  Mary Wong:Question is - purpose for which we might want to know the HQ/breakdown for
  David Tait:Phil, it has been but I will email the documents to you again for ease of access
  Kathy:Susan - it's a great point... and a question I think we all had
  susan payne:thanks
  susan payne:thanks David
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:So you would be spending the week looking for the information in the Notes section and then update the doc with that (or note it it's unavailable for later survey purposes?)
  Mary Wong:@Kristine, that was our idea ... but open to new directions!
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:I like it.  I think we keep filling this in until we hit a wall
  David Tait:Sorry Susan you cut out there could you repeat that or type it in the chat?
  susan payne:I agree Mary, it may be too granular to be able to gather
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Would be useful to invite Donuts to talk to us?  They can always just say no.
  susan payne:I definitely think we want to try to gather info about numbers of DPMLs.  Just not sure if we'd be able to drill down particularly accurately on impact on sunrise registrations
  Kathy:Can Staff reach out first?
  susan payne:I'm just going to log out and back in again as I ahve interference
  Mary Wong:@Kathy, that would be one of the questions we would ask Donuts, no?
  susan:pretty sure not public :)
  Mary Wong:Me too
  Mary Wong:We have not found anything specifif about TMs/Labels using the DPML through a public search
  Philip Corwin:tend to agree with kathy. we should get a better idea of what Donuts has and is willing to share prior to a call to make the call maximally productive. even if they don't have or won't share data, we need to formulate relevant questions or discussion topics in advance
  Jeff Neuman:This is the only info for DPML:  http://www.donuts.domains/services/dpml/dpml-overview
  Mary Wong:@Jeff, yep
  Kathy:Tx Kristine, that makes sense!
  Kathy:In that case, I;m with Phil
  Kathy:Let's due some more due dililgence first
  Kathy:and then invite them on in a few weeks....
  Kathy:(Donuts)
  Jeff Neuman:Here is the patent application:  http://domainnamewire.com/wp-content/dpml-patent.pdf
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Mary, you're breaking up
  Philip Corwin:Breaking up badly, mary
  Jeff Neuman:What dilligence Kathy?
  Philip Corwin:can't hear you at all now
  Mary Wong:Sorry
  Mary Wong:Was just asking what other due diligence staff can do at this point since there is no further public info we could find
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:Thanks, we got that Mary.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:On the "future questions list" lets add: investigate all the private RPMs that are triggered off the TMCH
  Mary Wong:@Kathy, we haven't found anything public about that. Perhaps registires internally haeve that info.
  Kathy:Good path forward, Kristine!
  Jeff Neuman:Donuts, Rightside and Mights and Machines
  Jeff Neuman:Minds and Machines
  susan:great, good suggestion Kristine
  Mary Wong:@Jeff, would you suggest us approaching those three registries and ask them to get on a call with us to find out what they are able to share, in a few weeks?
  Edward Morris:+1 Kristine
  Philip Corwin:Support that way forward
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry:On that note, I have to jump off and will follow up with the last few minutes later.  Thanks everyone for another productive call.
  Mary Wong:@kathy, this was from the Staff RPM Paper
  Mary Wong:Note also the Staff Notes at the bottom of the page - we tried, on instruction from the Sub Team last week, to find blogs, comments etc on developing country outreach but came up with almost none
  Mary Wong:Yes there were webinars by the TMCH
  Mary Wong:Note that this - outreach, developing countries - is something that is being scoped by other projects e.g. CCT-RT
  Mary Wong:So we need to be careful not to duplicate efforts elsewhere
  Mary Wong:@Jeff, is this a general topic that New gTLD PDP is looking at? Since outreach to registrants may be something that is broader than the RPM Review remit.
  Mary Wong:@Susan, our understanding is that what's in the final staff paper is the corrected info
  Mary Wong:Plus the latest figures would be what the AG has in their report
  Mary Wong:Good point, Susan - that's why the AG figures are the most up to date, though they don't use raw numbers
  Mary Wong:I'm not sure ICANN could go back and fix the Drafr Report numbers TBH
  susan:ok, I need to remind myself what's in the AG report
  Mary Wong:@Susan, all - would it be worth asking the AG for the raw numbers from which they got thei 94%?
  susan:yes!
  Mary Wong:OK
  Mary Wong:@Kathy, note the AG caution about reading coorelation/causation of non-registration as a result of Claims Notices.
  Kathy:Tx you asking the Analysis Group these questions!
  Kathy:@Susan, that's a good point.
  Kathy:This materials is very useful - great tx to David and Mary!
  Philip Corwin:If registries inappropriately used TMCH data to set premium prices they may have violated their separate contractual agreement with TMCH. Isn't that an issue for Compliance? But agree we don't wont to spook them if they have data useful to us.
  susan:shall we all endeavour to circulate feedback by email on the questions so we can try to progress
  Mary Wong:That would be super helpful
  Mary Wong:esp since we don't know there will be much update to this data doc by next Fri
  Kathy:@David, did you say that you were going to iterate on the questions this week? Or that you were going to send them out?
  Philip Corwin:so we meet again next week same time?
  Mary Wong:@Kathy, per Susan, we will recirculate the questions document for feedback
  Mary Wong:@Phil, yes
  Philip Corwin:thx Mary/bye all
  susan:lovely, thanks all.