[Gnso-rpm-tmch] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat for RPM TMCH Sub Team

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Fri Oct 14 21:34:24 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance, MP3 recording and Adobe Connect chat below for the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) TMCH Sub Team call held on Friday, 14 October 2016 at 15:00 UTC.
MP3:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-tmch-14oct16-en.mp3
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-tmch-16sep16-en.mp3>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the Sub Team wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/_Rm4Aw
Attendees:
Kathy Kleiman
Khouloud Dawahi
Kristine Dorrain
Kurt Pritz
Marina Lewis
Philip Corwin
Sarah Clayton
Susan Payne

Apologies:

ICANN staff:
Mary Wong
Antonietta Mangiacotti

David Tait

Berry Cobb

Michelle DeSmyter

Sub Team Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/_Rm4Aw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 14 October 2016:

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) - TMCH Sub Team Meeting on Friday, 14 October 2016 at 15:00 UTC.
  Susan Payne:hi all
  Mary Wong:Hello!
  Mary Wong:@Susan, we have a copy of your questions and email from this morning as well - we can upload that too
  Philip Corwin:Apologies for late arrival/computer issues
  Mary Wong:Me
  Mary Wong:We're told the Analysis Group questions will go out next week
  Mary Wong:And will have a mid-Nov deadline
  David Tait:I told him questions are going out next week
  David Tait:yeah
  Mary Wong:So the timing is very close - just about the same - as ours
  David Tait:Was that correct?
  David Tait:Thats the first set of questions up now
  Mary Wong:@Kurt, that's very helpful
  Susan Payne:fine
  Philip Corwin:Agree that getting base abandonment rate for registrations of non-TMCH domains would be useful data to measure meaning of the 94% rate
  David Tait:document uploaded now
  Susan Payne:sounds fine
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Agree with Q1 change.
  Susan Payne:yes to kurt
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I was agreeing!
  Berry Cobb:As I have encountered, you add the name to the cart, and in the payment process is when you are presented with the notice.  Upon successful acknowledgement of the notice, then you complete the registration process by completing the payment.
  Philip Corwin:It's really abandonment of a specific requested domain name, but perhaps not the entire cart -- there may be other names in the cart that go through to completion even if one is deleted after receipt of the claims notice
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Agree, Phil, maybe that's really what GoDaddy meant as well.
  Kathy K:Hi All, Apologies for joining late.
  Susan Payne:agree, plus the rate at which they didn't proceed during the claims but for names not subject to a claims notice.
  Susan Payne:no
  Kurt Pritz:i m ight have to rejoin
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Yes, Susan, this is a piece of the puzzle
  Kurt Pritz:mic not working
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Can't hear Kurt
  Kurt Pritz:dont wait!
  Kathy K:Tx Mary!
  David Tait:all good
  Sarah:surely results will be skewed by rights owners (TMCH clients) buying their own name, receiving a notice, and continuing with registration?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Yes, I think that's definitely going to be a factor...
  David Tait:ye
  David Tait:*yes
  Susan Payne:ah, ok.  I will check
  David Tait:Kurt it should be free to scroll
  Kathy K:If the TMCH keeps track of the number of TM Owner domain name registrations, that seems like a number to collect from the TMCH and subtract from the data we received from the registrars.
  Kathy K:@Kurt, if she does not understand TM+50, shouldn't we explain it?
  Susan Payne:yes that makes sense
  Susan Payne:to kurt's comment
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:@Kathy, do you think it would be confusing?  The registrar doesn't really know how a string gets on the TMCH list.
  Mary Wong:Yes, that is the problem, I think, Kristine
  Susan Payne:I don't this it's necessarily a problem - suspect Sarah Bickey is not the person at GD who deals with registrants
  Susan Payne:Bockey
  Berry Cobb:They won't be able to distinguish from a Regular TMCH entry vs. one that was allowed into the TMCH due to the +50 rule.
  Mary Wong:That's what I was saying, thanks Berry
  Philip Corwin:Agree that registrar may not know whether a name that generates a claims notice is a trademark or a TM+50 term
  Berry Cobb:+1 Kristine
  Berry Cobb:And the notice itself (what is presented to potential Rt) is the same regardless.
  Mary Wong:Yes
  Berry Cobb:I'd say the best source will be for IBM/Deloitte to compare reg TMCH entries vs. the TMCH +50 designations, but they would need hyper-active registration details from Registrars, which may be difficult and likely not retained for very long.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Agree that the catch-all could help.  Agree to see what the TMCH might know.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:does the TMCH track registrations, either TM+50 or otherwise?  I didn't think so....
  Kathy K:@Mary and David, could you take a fast look and let us know the current TM+50 Question to Providers?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Oooh, that would be good then, thanks Kurt!
  Kathy K:@David: did any Registrars answer that they could answer the TM+50 question?
  Mary Wong:@Kathy, no
  Susan Payne:Very happy with the framework
  Kathy K:sounds good
  Kurt Pritz:thanks
  Kathy K:tx!
  Philip Corwin:bye all