[gnso-rpm-wg] Attendance and MP3 RPM WG Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 15:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Apr 21 17:22:38 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the  Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDs PDP Working Group call held on Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 15:00 UTC.

MP3:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-review-21apr16-en.mp3<http://mailer.samanage.com/wf/click?upn=NrFWbrBstcrPWP369qgbqlXiSKeL20xnUXzI03ZqpsshSzdNKA1Z4WxEp9wS0jun9vRFDTxLB1xmDYe-2Ffenvnw-3D-3D_nEX-2FaOijqgcJlSz5SkmueJu3tRbmaDiuX89gT35tStEeSHP9whdoceObpMxYsFLQddiMZpQjIv8dk6BsBGSJXH7VWN4SGLCJgbGKCk6E-2FTErjF4OKNQt65Dk9NF54IJ9kQpmDNySj7bbNz9G4dXi5BgbCZotTx8KNfyeB0z00f8KsMfETeTNKd7vy2kKI7tttQUIwid4NAhxXgT3nZYwmvy9SKn0XowH7kKc4pRqbRZcrQOb0lEZpTtRdAD7h1wj9rVMw7ZPg09r6HQV-2F295Wrex14zTDXUjpHSTf1RyoXcqMb09BANgzzK3rS5WRsQG-2Br0uUpT5JPOuMXKvlKa2t0DxwwJkonOuj9w9HR7N5-2B1iT0qDigw9SVC86B14WONK8-2BlJosVLmH66St1PSIoXz0M7Nufut-2FRnBsITBCCcIVuoE0enlDLJ1HsOfGjIzxntpKBriY0cYosY1pqbO0-2BOY2knO1LaSxpC1lusFxhD8TBDsQFppoLWS5M7xqGclah3>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:


** Please let me know if your name has been left off the list **

Mailing list archives: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/wCWAAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew


Adobe Connect chat transcript for 21 April 2016:

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDs PDP Working Group held on Thursday, 21 April 2016

  Terri Agnew:wiki workspace: https://community.icann.org/x/wCWAAw

  Terri Agnew:member page/soi: https://community.icann.org/x/3iWAAw

  Terri Agnew:If you do wish to speak during the call, please either dial into the audio bridge and give the operator the password RDS, OR click on the telephone icon at the top of the AC room to activate your AC mics. Please remember to mute your phone and mics when not talking.

  Philip Corwin:Good morning all. We are about to start a long and challenging journey.

  Terri Agnew:**update to join on the telephone the passcode is RPM Review (not RDS)

  George Kirikos:Good morning, everyone.


  Petter Rindforth:Good afternoon ;-)

  Jonathan Frost:Good morning :)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello Everyone

  George Kirikos:Hi Vaibhav, Petter, Jonathan and Maxim. How are you today??

  Salvador Camacho Hernandez:Hello Everyone. Greetings from Mexico City

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@George Fine, thanks

  Petter Rindforth:It's a nice day and I'm looking forward to work with you all on these topics

  Paul Tattersfield:Hi everyone

  George Kirikos:Hi Salvador and Paul.

  Kathy Kleiman:Hi All!


  George Kirikos:Hi Kathy.

  Greg Shatan:Hello all!

  George Kirikos:Hi Greg.

  George Kirikos:Looks like a solid turnout so far.

  Huthaifa:Hi all


  Peter Mueller:Hi all

  Darcy Southwell:Hello!

  George Kirikos:Here's the member list and SOIs, for convenience purposes: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=58729950

  Rudi Vansnick:sunny greeetings from Belgium ;-)

  Edward Morris:Hello Rudi

  Marina Lewis:Hi everyone!

  Grace Mutung'u:Hello everyone!

  Amr Elsadr:I'm in the AC room now.

  Roger Baah:Hello All

  Gabriela Szlak:Hi Amr :)

  Mary Wong:As a reminder, Observer status means read-only rights to the mailing list, and no participation in the calls.

  Mary Wong:Working Group Guideliens: http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-16feb16-en.pdf

  George Kirikos:Observers can still submit public comments, once those public comment periods open up, though.

  Rudi Vansnick:@Mary : observer : calls - no verbal interventions but they can listen into the call ?

  Mary Wong:The relevant principles Phil just mentioned are in Section

  Mary Wong:@Rudi, no - they cannot join the call but can of course listen to the recording and view the transcripts after the call.

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:@Rudi - Observer :-)

  Kathy Kleiman:@Mary and All: People can easily move on and off the Observer list to Membership status.

  George Kirikos:Folks can raise their hands to queue up to speak.

  Greg Shatan:ICANNs are Icons used in ICANN meetings...

  Rudi Vansnick:@Vaibhav : no I'm a member of the group ;)

  Mary Wong:@Kathy, yes - and vice versa, especially for a Working Group of some length and intensity.

  George Kirikos:Are the "speed up" and "slow down" icons new? (rabbit and turtle) :-)

  Amr Elsadr:Happy with the Phil/Kathy/J.Scott package.

  Amr Elsadr:I mean as 3 co-chairs.

  Rudi Vansnick:I agree

  Petter Rindforth:Perfect solution!

  George Kirikos:Perhaps ask a public question, i.e. whether to support the "troika" method, and call an "Agree" / "Disagree" vote, with the icons?

  Philip Corwin:@George - I'll let Mary or other staff opine on proper way to adopt the equaly Co-Chair proposal

  Amr Elsadr:Chuck and J.Scott did a great job co-chairing the working group just referred to.

  Volker Greimann:did we lose sound or is it just me?

  Paul Tattersfield:it was ok here

  Amr Elsadr:Sound's fine on my end (using the phone bridge).

  George Kirikos:Sound is fine via the phone (not sure about Adobe, as I muted it).

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):adobe audio works

  Sonigitu Ekpe:Greetings all, from Calabar - Nigeria. Sorry for being late.

  Alistair Payne:I had a similar adobe audio issue but called in and  the phone line works well

  Edward Morris:Hello Sonnigitu. Welcome!

  Amr Elsadr:3 Co-consuls.

  Kathy Kleiman:Tx to Danny and Petter for their leadership - now and in the future

  J. Scott Evans:mary is really breaking up on my line

  Doug Isenberg:Mary's audio is very choppy

  Greg Shatan:Same here

  Darcy Southwell:Same for me

  Amr Elsadr:I thought the audio was just bad on my end.

  Jon Nevett:I move that these three wonderful folks serve as our chair

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):high jitter

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Yes Bad Connection I guess

  George Kirikos:Here too. Is Mary on VOIP?

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Cant understand

  Doug Isenberg:Mary is unintelligible

  Volker Greimann:torrenting on the side?

  Mary Wong:Sorry

  Amr Elsadr:Agree with Mary's suggested plan forward.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Doodle poll ?

  George Kirikos:lol Volker

  Volker Greimann:the new linux distribution, of course

  J. Scott Evans:I would recommend that we post the names to the list for a period of 7 days.


  Mary Wong:@Phil, @J Scott - yes

  Doug Isenberg:Now Phil's audio is gone

  George Kirikos:It'd be better to perhaps have a quick vote here ---- it would save us from 50+ emails of "+1" or "I support"

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:I also want to understand the format for INternational Inclusion

  Greg Shatan:"Cerberus"?

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:as Policies changing

  George Kirikos:(all those emails can be overwhelming)

  Doug Isenberg:Working now

  Mary Wong:Following that period, assuming no objections, we will send the names to the Council for their confirmation - their next meeting is in May.

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:around the world

  Amr Elsadr:@George: if we make the selection on the call, others who are not on will not be part of the decision. Best to do this on-list IMHO.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):let's try Doodle poll instead of e-mails

  Darcy Southwell:Agree.

  J. Scott Evans:The notice should request ONLY objections or additional proposals to try a quell the deluge of emails.

  Greg Shatan:Mary, does that mean that the co-Chairs can't be seated until GNSO Council approves?

  Roger Baah:I think thats a good idea

  George Kirikos:Not a formal selection, Amr, but just a quick "show of support", which could be overriden on the list, if those who couldn't make it object.

  Paul Tattersfield:J Scott +1

  Lars Hoffmann:https://community.icann.org/x/4SWAAw

  Amr Elsadr:@George: Ok. Gotcha.

  Mary Wong:@Greg, typically the WG just proceeds with the new team - on the assumption that if the Council does in fact object, there will then need to be a new selection.

  George Kirikos:i.e. something  like "48 out of 55" showed support, 6 objected, 1 abstained", etc. and then call for any additional comments/objections; otherwise, proceed to the GNSO. Or agree with J. Scott, just have objections, to save bandwidth on the mailing list.

  Mary Wong:@George, we recommend asking for objections - of course, members can always submit those privately to either staff or one of the candidates if they prefer.

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:There should be a Voting

  George Kirikos:(Otherwise, the time of the 50 members here live is somewhat wasted listening passively, when they have an opportunity to be "active' by changing the icon.)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):URS in not on  the page - is it due being the same phase as UDRP?


  Jan Janssen:Will the PICDRP also be up for review in Phase 1?

  Philip Corwin:URS is phase 1

  George Kirikos:URS + TMCH + PICDRP?

  Amr Elsadr:PICDRP is not specific to this PDP.

  Susan Payne:+1 lars

  Mary Wong:Not the PICDRIP, but the Post Delegation DRP (PDDRP)

  Amr Elsadr:This PDP is about trademarks, not the public interest commitments in the RA.

  Amr Elsadr:PICS will be reviewed in the new gTLD subsequent procedures PDP. I'm assuming the PICDRP will be as well.

  Jan Janssen:Thank you for the cle clarification Amr.

  Amr Elsadr:No worries.

  Lars Hoffmann:https://community.icann.org/x/4SWAAw

  George Kirikos:Don't send attachments, please.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it is batter to send a URL

  George Kirikos:Post it to the wiki.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):*better

  Mary Wong:@George, we will certainly do that (post to the wiki)

  Lars Hoffmann:The PPT is already on the wiki. You can find it here: https://community.icann.org/x/4SWAAw

  Salvador Camacho Hernandez:Thanks Lars!

  Ankur Raheja:Thanks

  George Kirikos:We should also be gathering data, to inform policy decisions.

  George Kirikos:(beyond the data already collected)

  Mary Wong:@George, there is a process for the WG to request certain types of data, should the WG wish to do so.

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:@Lars PLease share the Link in the presentation here

  Susan Payne:no voice - sorry I will put in chat

  Susan Payne:just a question about the independent review of the TMCH that Analysis Group is conducting now and how it will inform our work?

  George Kirikos:Doodle poll, perhaps, to see which times work best?

  Mary Wong:@Susan, staff that support that review have been added to the mailing list, and we anticipate reaching out to the Analysis Group for updates, briefings, interactions etc.

  Susan Payne:thanks Mary

  Lars Hoffmann:Here is a link to the main timezones for the members of this group: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=4&day=28&year=2016&p1=137&p2=263&p3=51&p4=136&p5=111&p6=102&p7=240&iv=0

  Sonigitu Ekpe:Thank will be great Mary Wong

  George Kirikos:Lars: that doesn't necessarily show preferences as to time; e.g. some might want to participate at night, vs. the day (i.e. if it conflicts with their jobs).

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):rotation of night calls between time zones might be fair

  Mary Wong:@George, yes, that is true. Hopefully it helps show the spread for starters. We can do a Doodle poll for more times, though note that we may not end up picking the most popular times as that may not cover the participants in those rgions with fewer members.

  George Kirikos:It should be a *weighted* rotation, though, to weight it by preferences. If 90% of people wanted to meet at 11 am (easter), and 10% prefer 6 pm (eastern), it wouldn't be optimal to rotate that 50:50. :-)

  George Kirikos:*easter=eastern

  Mary Wong:@George, right - that is certainly a good option.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Other continents sould be respected too :)

  Sonigitu Ekpe:+1 @George

  Mary Wong:@Phil, that is correct

  Mary Wong:And the transcript and recordings are all posted to the Working Group wiki space after they are available

  Neda Shahghasemi:Could you please specify which document contains the questions we are reviewing during the next meeting?

  Amr Elsadr:Emails from staff following every call also usually include notes taken and action items agreed to.

  Sonigitu Ekpe:Yes @Amr.

  Lars Hoffmann:you can find the final report and all other pertinent documents here: https://community.icann.org/x/4SWAAw

  Neda Shahghasemi:Thank you

  George Kirikos:But they were non-exhaustive questions/issues....we can raise more.

  Lars Hoffmann:sorry: final issue report

  Mary Wong:We will work with the Chairs to produce a draft Work Plan for the Working Group review and dsicussion as soon as possible, so you can see proposed methodology, timelines and key deliverables/milestones.

  Gabriela Szlak:Thanks to everyone, I need to leave a few minutes later, looking forward to work with all of you!!!

  Gabriela Szlak:earlier I meant

  Sonigitu Ekpe:Thank you.

  Kathy Kleiman:Both documents are very important: the Working Group Charter (7 pages) and the Final Issues Report from Staff to the GNSO Council that preceded the Charter (41 pages)

  Mary Wong:Yes

  Edward Morris:4 pm in London summer time

  Susan Payne:except for daylight savings

  Mary Wong:We will follow up with a notice to the mailing list

  Sara Bockey:FYI - conflicts with ICANN quarterly update

  George Kirikos:Sara raises a good point, if that's a conflict.

  George Kirikos:Or move the ICANN quarterly update. ;-)

  Mary Wong:@George, if we can do that it will be interesting!

  George Kirikos:Even Apple moved their quarterly earnings announcement for next week, so anything's possible. :-)

  Susan Payne:Thanks Phil

  George Kirikos:Bye everyone.

  Jonathan Frost:thanks all

  Paul Tattersfield:Thanks Phil, bye everyone

  J. Scott Evans:Thanks all. Thanks Phil.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Thanks Everyone

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):bye

  Darcy Southwell:Thanks, Phil and everyone!

  Doug Isenberg:Thanks, Phil

  Salvador Camacho Hernandez:Bye and thanks to everyone!

  Steve Levy:Looking forward to working with everyone

  Greg Shatan:Thanks, all! Bye!

  Jay Chapman:Thanks, Phil & all.

  Kathy Kleiman:Tx Phil and tx all!

  Mary Wong:Thanks, Phil and everyone.

  Rudi Vansnick:bye

  Roger Baah:thanks

  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Thanks - I hope we can connect. Any assistance in South Asia - let me know. 9899246969, va at bladebrains.com<mailto:va at bladebrains.com>

  Petter Rindforth:See you all next week!

  Marina Lewis:thanks, everyone

  Sonigitu Ekpe:Thank you all.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Philip Corwin:Bye all

  Peter Mueller:Buy all

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/attachments/20160421/7f1c00bd/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: attendance RPM 21 April 2016.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 190587 bytes
Desc: attendance RPM 21 April 2016.pdf
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/attachments/20160421/7f1c00bd/attendanceRPM21April2016-0001.pdf>

More information about the gnso-rpm-wg mailing list