[gnso-rpm-wg] Questionable UDRPs & TM applications

Steve Levy slevy at accentlawgroup.com
Wed Aug 24 22:28:17 UTC 2016

George,

I don’t see where anyone has directly addressed your points 2 or 3.  As someone who regularly files UDRP cases and has a strong interest in the fairness of the process, I’d like to hear your thoughts on the common causes for this problem.  When I send demand letters or pre-filing copies of complaints to registrants I use the email address listed in the whois record. If the resolving website has a “Contact Us” page or form I’ll use that as well.  In some cases I’ve picked up the phone and tried calling registrants.

The few times I’ve heard from a registrant after they were formally served with the complaint they’ve said things like “I thought your message was spam”, “my privacy service never forwarded  your email to me”, or “your email got caught in my spam filter.”

Do you have any suggestions for improving pre-complaint communication with registrants, especially those who use privacy services?  If I could get in touch with folks before filing a complaint it could save my clients a bunch of money and even possibly lead to negotiated purchases of some accused domains, thus benefiting both sides.

Regards,
Steve

[cid:52D5B2CC-E34D-4F64-9E81-94F42FEA419A]

Steven M. Levy, Esq.

Accent Law Group, Inc.
301 Fulton St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147

United States

Phone: +1-215-327-9094
Email: slevy at AccentLawGroup.com<mailto:slevy at accentlawgroup.com>

Website: www.AccentLawGroup.com<http://www.accentlawgroup.com/>

<http://www.accentlawgroup.com/>LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/stevelevy43a/<http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevelevy43a/>
Notice: This communication, including attachments, may contain information that is confidential and protected by the attorney/client or other privileges. It constitutes non-public information intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If the reader or recipient of this communication is not the intended recipient, an employee or agent of the intended recipient who is responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, or you believe that you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and promptly delete this e-mail, including attachments without reading or saving them in any manner. The unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this e-mail, including attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney/client or other privilege.

On 8/20/16, 10:04 AM, "gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of George Kirikos" <gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of icann at leap.com<mailto:icann at leap.com>> wrote:

Hi Scott,

If there were greater safeguards to ensure that registrants were
*actually* properly served with the complaint, and had ample time to
retain counsel and prepare a response, that might be something to
consider.

i.e. the 3 biggest reasons for a respondent default are:

1. egregious cybersquatting, where the case is unwinnable (I'd call
this "active" default, since the respondent is making the active
choice to not defend the dispute),
2.  they never received actual notice of the complaint, and
3.  they received notice of the complaint, but couldn't prepare a
response in time

If we can take care of #1, while properly protecting against
"inadvertent" defaults in scenarios #2 and #3 (i.e. prevent those from
being gamed by complainants), then my concerns would be reduced.

The panelists would still need to scrutinize the complaint's evidence
and arguments, though, and not simply accept it "blindly" (i.e.
evidence and arguments sufficient to pass the minimum pleading
requirements that would pass the UDRP's 3-part test; some complaints
are entirely deficient, so shouldn't be accepted if the other side
doesn't show up).