[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items, Slides and Notes from the Working Group call held earlier today

Beckham, Brian brian.beckham at wipo.int
Thu Apr 6 13:42:16 UTC 2017

George, with respect, your conclusion is unhelpfully dismissive, and moreover, it is highly inaccurate.

It was registration interests, not brand owners, who were clamoring for new gTLDs.  Merely as one illustrative example of this, in July 2009, INTA wrote to ICANN suggesting that work remained to be done in order to minimize trademark abuse and consumer confusion in an expanding gTLD space: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/drewsen-to-beckstrom-24jul09-en.pdf.

In this same regard, you may also recall that even an ICANN‑commissioned study (https://archive.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/economic-analysis-of-new-gtlds-16jun10-en.pdf) suggested that any introduction of new gTLDs proceed cautiously, namely: "it may be wise to continue ICANN’s practice of introducing new gTLDs in discrete, limited rounds. It is impossible to predict the costs and benefits of new gTLDs accurately. By proceeding with multiple rounds, the biggest likely costs—consumer confusion and trademark protection—can be evaluated".

ICANN opted however to proceed in a more unlimited manner, and we are where we are.

In any event, it is simply unsupportable to suggest that the present rights protection discussions are somehow a "problem" created by trademark owners.  Nor are these issues exclusive to brand owners using dictionary terms in an arbitrary sense (e.g., "apple").  To protect their brand/reputation and indeed the consumers relying on them, even brand owners with fanciful (coined/unique) trademarks such as XEROX, EXXON, and KODAK have had occasion to engage in enforcement actions such as UDRP cases.

Finally, even the Toyota v. Tabari case cited in your later email seems to support the principal/availability of sunrise protection;  there the court states: “Of course a domain name containing a mark cannot be nominative fair use if it suggests sponsorship or endorsement by the trademark holder.  We've already explained why trademark.com domains have that effect.”

Best regards,

Brian