[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items, Slides and Notes from the Working Group call held earlier today

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Thu Apr 6 14:10:55 UTC 2017

1. My company was not in favour of new gTLDs, and was very outspoken
against them. To imply otherwise is ridiculous and incorrect. Don't
lump me in with those guys who were in favour of them. If I'm making
arguments that happen to be aligned with new gTLD registry operators
or TM holders or other parties on some particular issue, that doesn't
mean I'm aligned with all of their issues. I argue for what I see is
right and justified, based on facts, law and supporting evidence. e.g.
I recognize TM rights, but don't recognize ever-expansive claims that
go beyond the law. I've pushed for lower TMCH fees (if the TMCH is to
even be continued) harder than some members of the IPC, and that's
*their* issue. I've pushed for lower registry TMCH fees harder than
the registry operators! I don't even plan to ever use the TMCH, and am
against its use for sunrise periods, but if it exists, it should be
operated at low cost and efficiently.

2. I don't know who actually wants new gTLDs (their registry operators
seem to be constantly complaining about losing money, etc., asking for
ICANN bailouts), but the horde of "consultants" seem to suggest that
it's brands that want new gTLDs.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20170213_2017_the_year_of_dotbrand/

"2017 seems poised to be the Year of dotBrand!"

"That's why there is a growing pressure on ICANN to open a new round
for the "have-not" companies. "

3. The ICANN commissioned studies were junk:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/msg00015.html

"Economic "Study" Phase II does not make the case for new TLDs - ICANN
and authors should be ashamed to present this "work" to the public"

I wasn't the only one to say so. KC Claffy (member of ICANN SSAC at
the time) wrote:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/economic-framework/msg00004.html

"(1) Like the Carlton report, the authors still seem to think one
way to "evaluate" concerns raised by others is to dismiss them
without further study.  George Kirikos observed one reason for the
similarity between the two reports -- there was overlap in authorship.
Despite the loud complaints that the previous report was not
sufficiently objective, ICANN commissioned a second report that was
ultimately co-authored by the same company as the first report, a
fact hidden by ICANN's emphasis on only the Stanford and Berkeley
co-authors in the report's description on the ICANN web site."

....(and many more good points, read the entire post...)

(9) George Kirikos also points out in his scathing comments
[ http://forum.icann.org/lists/economic-framework/msg00000.html ]
that the ICANN-commissioned report, despite having academic
authors, seems to eschew scholarship, by failing to cite related
work and how it compares to the authors' own results, and avoiding
discussion of (or discounting) empirical data that sheds doubt on
the wisdom of what ICANN has made clear it plans to do anyway."

I, and many others can say "we told you so."

Indeed, even *outside* of ICANN, these "experts" are criticized, see
the article at:

https://www.propublica.org/article/these-professors-make-more-than-thousand-bucks-hour-peddling-mega-mergers

"The economists are leveraging their academic prestige with secret
reports justifying corporate concentration. Their predictions are
often wrong and consumers pay the price."

which explicitly covers Compass Lexecon and Dennis Carlton

4. The problem I mentioned wasn't the introduction of new gTLDs -- it
was the choice as a trademark by the brand owner of a widely used
term. They could have chosen something else. It's unrealistic for that
brand owner to expect that they have exclusivity or priority rights to
a term that is commonly used or has many prospective good faith
owners.

5. There are better examples that are right on point re: "exact
match", e.g. the Canadian.biz lawsuit, where a brewery in Canada
wanted the exact match .biz domain:

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2002/2002canlii49493/2002canlii49493.html

or the famous and ongoing Nissan.com saga.