[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items, Slides and Notes from the Working Group call held earlier today

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Thu Apr 6 14:32:51 UTC 2017

I must take some exception to the statement that an exact match is trademark infringement, presuming that this refers to a domain name that is an exact match of a TM.

This is generally true when the trademark is a distinctive term that is not a descriptive dictionary word. For example, registration of microsoft.tld by any party other than Microsoft would likely be susceptible to a successful UDRP or URS action. (microsoftsucks.tld is an entirely different matter that raises free speech and fair use issues).

But the registration of windows.tld would not infringe Microsoft's trademark unless the related website contained content related to computer software and any other goods and services for which Microsoft has registered the mark. It can be freely registered, for example, by a company offering window repair and replacement services to homeowners.

Given that nearly every dictionary word (at least in English) has been registered as a trademark for something, registration of an exact match for a totally unrelated purpose cannot be regarded as per se infringement. If that were the case then trademark owners would effectively control the use of dictionary words for domain registration purposes and that would have worrisome free speech implications. Fortunately, TM law does not grant such broad rights, and limits protections to the goods and services for which the mark is used.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050