[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items, Slides and Notes from the Working Group call held earlier today

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Apr 10 22:38:12 UTC 2017

Sometimes I wonder if we're reading the same mailing list.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM, J. Scott Evans <jsevans at adobe.com> wrote:

> I fundamentally disagree with that premise. Our job on this WG is to identify and fix problems. You should not and, IMHO, cannot assume a problem based on a philosophical bent on an issue. If you cannot identify a problem, the harms caused by the problem, come up with a reasonable solution and come to consensus around the solution: the status quo holds.

Numerous problems have already been identified with regards to gaming.
(and Michael Graham's followup email was too narrow -- the evidence is
with respect to gaming, period, not only free speech, etc. It's about
ensuring a level playing field, fairness, balancing the interests,).

In your own email, just a few hours ago, you (J. Scott) wrote:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-April/001326.html

"We can fix that."

Presumably, that's an acknowledgement that you've seen a problem.

Yet, we get repeated statements by some that there are no problems,
even after the evidence is presented. Unbelievable. Perhaps it's a
strategy to numb everyone into submission, with a refrain of "Where's
the evidence?" "That's not evidence." "That's anecdotal, and not
evidence", "That's not enough evidence". "The database is secret, and
can't be used to provide you with evidence." etc. That's
obstructionist.

Enough evidence has already been provided (although even more could be
provided via a public comment period, soliciting more evidence of
abuse of the TMCH). To borrow a phrase, the burden has now shifted to
those who want to maintain the TMCH and its related sunrise period,
etc. If that burden is not met, then the TMCH should be scaled back or
repealed/replaced.