[gnso-rpm-wg] Recommendation for Questions #7 and #16 (Design Mark and Appropriate Balance)

Beckham, Brian brian.beckham at wipo.int
Wed Apr 26 17:54:14 UTC 2017

Jeremy,

Putting aside the fact that we have not yet seen any evidence of free expression being stifled because of a domain name registration in a sunrise, we are not exactly in apples to apples territory:  the DNS is first-come, first-served;  trademark law allows for co
existence of various shapes and sizes.

Even without a TMCH, or sunrises for that matter, you would have the same "problem" of an exclusionary registration.

Also putting aside the fact that myriad variants (here: "parent" and "parenting" just to quickly name two) remain available for registration, it is not clear that there is a "solution" to this issue within the current fabric of the DNS.

Brian