[gnso-rpm-wg] Recommendation for Questions #7 and #16 (Design Mark and Appropriate Balance)

icannlists icannlists at winston.com
Wed Apr 26 17:58:01 UTC 2017

Thanks Jeremy.

As to claims, it provides absolutely nothing that doesn't already exist as a matter of law which already holds (at least for the US) that there is constructive notice of a trademark registrant's rights if the mark appears on the principal register:

"§1072 REGISTRATION AS CONSTRUCTIVE NOTICE OF CLAIM OF OWNERSHIP

Registration of a mark on the principal register provided by this chapter or under the Act of March 3, 1881, or the Act of February 20, 1905, shall be constructive notice of the registrant's claim of ownership thereof."

The TMCH + Claims are purely a service to the potential registrant which might deter the occasional act of cybersquatting, thus reducing liability for the would be registrant, nuisance and costs for the brand owners, and headaches for deceived consumers.  They don't result in any new rights whatsoever - just a second source of information about trademark rights that a registrant should be aware of before forking over $14.99 to GoDaddy.

As to Sunrise, either way once a domain name is registered, the registrant has the exclusive right to that particular second level domain name for the length of their contract with the registrar, and subject to good behavior, etc.  Whether it is the trademark right holder via Sunrise or a rich person via "premium" or a garden variety person like me via landrush, someone ends up with the "exclusive right."

So, I think we can move off the "exclusive rights" idea and talk more plainly - I think you just don't think brand owners should have any particular right to go first.  Correct?

Best,
Paul