[gnso-rpm-wg] FOR REVIEW & DISCUSSION: Draft collated proposal for Sunrise-related data collection

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 12:20:58 UTC 2017

George, Paul,

When analyzing the number of Sunrise registrations in the last round, how
do you suggest factoring-in to the analysis the number of DPML/other
blocking mechanisms, that function as defensive, non-resolving
registrations across hundreds of new gTLDs?

Once a trademark is 'blocked' through one of these additional marketplace
RPMs (for several thousand dollars per mark) - currently offered on a
voluntary basis as an alternative to Sunrise, to reduce social costs
imposed by the new gTLD program, that mark is defensively 'registered'
across hundreds of new gTLDs (at the same time, any of these DPML 'domains'
can be overridden by a non-trademarked registrant upon request to the
registry operator).

On a related point, we have numbers on the number of domains blocked
through these services?

Thanks!

Best,
Claudio