[gnso-rpm-wg] FOR REVIEW & DISCUSSION: Draft collated proposal for Sunrise-related data collection

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Aug 9 19:34:14 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 3:18 PM, J. Scott Evans <jsevans at adobe.com> wrote:
> I personally believe that a continued discussion of the continuance of Sunrise Registrations is fruitless. As I recall our call on August 2nd, I believe we had solid consensus that the solution is to fix the loopholes in the current system, not eliminate the current system altogether. I realize that Jeremy and George have a viewpoint, but that viewpoint is not reflective of our discussions. I suggest we move on to more productive topics.

Personal beliefs aside, is that an "official" request as a co-chair? I
don't believe Jeremy has indicated that he has withdrawn his proposal,
nor has there been any formal "consensus vote" on this topic, as per
my understanding of PDP requirements. Indeed, making such a
determination would be premature, given data collection and analysis
is incomplete. Thus, as an active and open PDP question/proposal to be
answered by the working group, it seems to me that it's as valid a
topic for discussion as any other undecided and open topic.

If some folks can't be swayed by any amount of evidence, or "know" the
outcome in advance, I'd love to see them attempt to justify it in the
PDP final report, as it would only invite a "minority report."

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what
you know for sure that just ain't so." -- Mark Twain

It seems ICANN policy is often based on the 2nd sentence of that
quote, ignoring attempts at evidence-based policymaking.