[gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Aug 11 21:25:13 UTC 2017

Hi Cyntia,

It's nice to see greater participation on the mailing list from
knowledgeable members like yourself!

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Cyntia King <cking at modernip.com> wrote:
> I do appreciate your admission that Sunrise is beneficial to TM owners.

No one was denying that. If someone pushed a pregnant woman out of her
seat on a bus, and took the seat for themselves, that person would
also benefit from that obnoxious behaviour. That's the nature of the
"benefit" to the TM owners, pushing aside someone else because they
believe they have a "better right" to that seat. It's an action with a
private benefit that imposes a cost upon others.

> We’re talking about nTLDs opened by those seeking to profit from a new business.  The cost of Sunrise is a business expense paid in the hope of making a large financial return.

I think you're not fully appreciating where the "costs" of a sunrise
are being borne. It's not just registry operators (and they might even
be beneficiaries --- some claim they'd offer them, even if they
weren't mandated, presumably setting a price so that they'd profit
from sunrises more than if they relied upon landrushes alone). The
costs are also borne by the folks who are being relegated to "the back
of the bus", being discriminated against and having a lower priority
for their registration attempts.