[gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Aug 11 21:50:11 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:44 PM, George Kirikos <icann at leap.com> wrote:
> [...]

I read some news yesterday about an important victory for free speech,
and attempts at creating "new rights" that would apply to the internet
that I think is worth sharing:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/08/california-court-appeal-overturns-dangerous-right-publicity-ruling

given that the EFF and Rebecca Tushnet were mentioned as being on the
right side of this verdict with their amicus curiae. Since I don't
like to aggrandize myself, let me give kudos to them!

The same principles apply here with regards to expansionary rights of
trademarks, beyond legal rights that exist offline. I'm glad that the
EFF and Rebecca are participating in the same capacity here that they
do in other venues. A position backed by PDP members with a long track
record of "winning" should not be marginalized. I applaud their
"amicus ICANN" work and contributions to this PDP. :-)