[gnso-rpm-wg] Critique of INTA survey

jonathan matkowsky jonathan.matkowsky at riskiq.net
Thu Aug 31 18:46:31 UTC 2017

I wanted to say that RiskIQ is an INTA member, and did not participate in
this survey. Before joining RiskIQ, I had a solo practice out of New York,
and was an INTA member representing both medium size and fairly large
companies in trademark matters. In my personal experience, the combination
of sunrise and TMCH plays a vital role to mitigate abuse of the DNS with
new gTLDs from a brand security perspective. I have found this personally
to be true for both relatively small as well as larger companies with
brands to secure from abuse.

Jonathan Matkowsky, VP - IP & Brand Security
RiskIQ, Inc.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 5:08 AM, George Kirikos <icann at leap.com> wrote:

> Kurt:
>
> That doesn't make any sense. Again, I did not reference that late July
> paper from EFF until you incorrectly linked my postings to it (i.e.
> until today). I brought up the topic of elimination of the sunrise
> period on April 13, see:
>
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-April/001509.html
>
> "A Brave New World Without Sunrises or the TMCH"
>
> EFF made their formal proposal to eliminate the sunrise on April 19th,
> after I had already made my views known:
>
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-April/001619.html
>
> The August 10th thread you mention:
>
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-August/002323.html
>
> was **2 weeks** after the EFF paper, and had absolutely no relation to
> it. To suggest it came "on the heels of it" is incorrect.
>
> I was referencing only the formal call for elimination of sunrise that
> they made back in April (i.e. an ongoing proposal that our PDP is
> tasked to consider).
>
> That July paper:
>
> https://www.eff.org/wp/which-internet-registries-offer-
> best-protection-domain-owners
>
> is completely unrelated. They don't discuss the 99% reduction in
> sunrise utilization. I was the one that first discussed that 99%
> figure, in order to support their April proposal.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> 416-588-0269
> http://www.leap.com/

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Kurt Pritz <kurt at kjpritz.com> wrote:
> > George:
> >
> > I remember Jeremy describing the paper. I was referring to the email
> chain
> > you started entitled on the heels of that paper, " 99%+ reduction in
> sunrise
> > utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise,”
> > that, to me, established a link between your arguments and the paper.
> >
> > Kurt
> >
> > On Aug 31, 2017, at 11:46 AM, George Kirikos <icann at leap.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Kurt,
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 5:47 AM, Kurt Pritz <kurt at kjpritz.com> wrote:
> > "1) George refers to the EFF and in past emails has particularly
> > referred to the EFF white paper, "Which Internet registries offer the
> > best protection for domain owners?” as justification for eliminated
> > the Sunrise RPM.....Yet, because it is “published," this is the source
> > cited often on this list as authority for eliminating Sunrise."
> >
> > I don't recall ever referencing that particular paper in this working
> > group. I advocated elimination of the Sunrise RPM long before that
> > paper was even published. That paper only came out in late July:
> >
> > http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-July/002256.html
> >
> > and as per the archives, no one ever replied to that thread.  I've
> > searched past emails, and can't find myself referencing it all here.
> >
> > My reasoning for elimination of sunrise isn't based at all on that
> [...]

This message was sent from RiskIQ, and is intended only for the designated
recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and
may be subject to confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated
recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you
receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you.