[gnso-rpm-wg] Critique of INTA survey

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Thu Aug 31 12:08:58 UTC 2017

Kurt:

That doesn't make any sense. Again, I did not reference that late July
paper from EFF until you incorrectly linked my postings to it (i.e.
until today). I brought up the topic of elimination of the sunrise
period on April 13, see:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-April/001509.html

"A Brave New World Without Sunrises or the TMCH"

EFF made their formal proposal to eliminate the sunrise on April 19th,
after I had already made my views known:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-April/001619.html

The August 10th thread you mention:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-August/002323.html

was **2 weeks** after the EFF paper, and had absolutely no relation to
it. To suggest it came "on the heels of it" is incorrect.

I was referencing only the formal call for elimination of sunrise that
they made back in April (i.e. an ongoing proposal that our PDP is
tasked to consider).

That July paper:

https://www.eff.org/wp/which-internet-registries-offer-best-protection-domain-owners

is completely unrelated. They don't discuss the 99% reduction in
sunrise utilization. I was the one that first discussed that 99%
figure, in order to support their April proposal.