[gnso-rpm-wg] Draft suggested list of URS topics (re: Action Items from 30 November Working Group Call)

Susan Payne susan.payne at valideus.com
Mon Dec 4 17:48:18 UTC 2017

Thanks to Mary for circulating the strawman and detailed cross-referencing paper.  I have reviewed the documents and the transcript from the 30 November call, but I want to be sure I understand what the intention is.  Would you mind clarifying that my understanding of what is being proposed is correct?  The strawman says “a majority of attendees supported the idea that, instead of a detailed list of refined Charter questions, a shorter list of specific topics (based on the existing Charter questions and any new suggestions adopted) should be developed”.

Am I right in thinking, therefore, that:

·         The existing charter questions have been reviewed to identify the range of topics that they identify as needing review: Complaint, Response, Standard of Proof, etc

·         Each of these topics will then be addressed by considering the five high level questions “has it been used”, “what was the original purpose, have there been unintended consequences”, etc

·         Using this approach we will not need to go through each charter question and revise it for sense and neutrality; rather that by conducting the exercise set out in bullets 1 and 2 our consideration will effectively ensure that we address the charter question and other issues on that topic from a neutral standpoint.  Is that correct?

Regardless of the answer above, I am unclear what is intended by Q5 “How many managed to prevail”?  Could you please clarify.

Many thanks

Susan Payne
Head of Legal Policy | Valideus Ltd

E: susan.payne at valideus.com<mailto:susan.payne at valideus.com>