[gnso-rpm-wg] Impact of GDPR on URS (and later UDRP)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Dec 5 16:56:31 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

With the WHOIS changes that are apparently coming due to GDPR, e.g. see:

https://opensrs.com/blog/2017/11/gdpr-updates-whois-changes/
https://opensrs.com/wp-content/uploads/gdpr_ind.pdf

this will likely require that we review the impact on URS (and later
UDRP) procedures that provide notice to registrants, as well as other
technical aspects. e.g. the URS contains lines like:

"1.2 Contents of the Complaint:
1.2.3 Name of Registrant (i.e. relevant information available from
Whois) and Whois listed available contact information for the relevant
domain name(s)."

This information will no longer be public for a class of registrants
(depending on the implementation by registrars). It's different from
"Proxy" WHOIS, where there is a *public* contact point (who can then
change it to the true underlying registrant)

If there's no other group looking at this issue, it would appear that
it would fall to us to make any relevant technical changes to the URS
(and UDRP) *before* our final report, to meet the GDPR deadline.
Otherwise, in a post GDPR setting, the existing policies might lead to
problems for all parties (complainant, registrar, registrant,
registry, providers, etc.).

Perhaps as a starting point, we should canvass the URS (and UDRP?)
providers for their GDPR implementation plans?