[gnso-rpm-wg] Inferences (was Re: Mp3, Attendance, AC recording & AC Chat Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) PDP Working Group)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Thu Jul 13 15:12:18 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Beckham, Brian <brian.beckham at wipo.int> wrote:
> I would like to recall some points made in an email I sent to the list on
> 13-April:  the number of sunrise registrations per new gTLD launch was an
> average of 130 (I believe the high-water-mark was 950).  This alone seems to
> mitigate against further investigation for evidence of abusive use of
> Sunrises.

Let's see: when talking about "abuse" of the sunrise, the "low" number
of registrations is cited as a reason not to investigate further.
However, when talking about whether or not the sunrise period should
be entirely eliminated, because the benefits are small, how is it that
these "low" number of registrations are not cited (by these same
people) as a reason to abandon the sunrise, for lack of benefits?

> Also, Jeff Neumann has advanced on several occasions that a large portion of
> the abandoned registration attempts were not actual registration attempts,
> but registries, registrars, and registrants pinging the TMCH in an attempt
> to find commercially-valuable information.  Perhaps such practices should be
> examined in more detail.

Sometimes this mailing list feels like the movie "50 First Dates",
where folks lost their memories each night. Albeit, with a time spam
here of just a few hours. That discussion of "pinging" skewing results
was already discussed in an earlier post in this very thread at:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-July/002182.html

which, ironically given Susan's (and others') objections re: "inline
posting" vs. "top posting", actually appears within Brian's email (see
near the middle of the entire archived post):

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-July/002194.html

They've already removed more than 60% of the data (to get down from
99% raw abandonment rate to 93.7% filtered abandonment rate).