[gnso-rpm-wg] Inferences (was Re: Mp3, Attendance, AC recording & AC Chat Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) PDP Working Group)

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Jul 17 17:29:08 UTC 2017

On 17/7/17 3:05 am, Paul Keating wrote:
> If we halted all TMCH use for sunrise purposes I see no huge loss for
> trademark holders.  And such would resolve the underlying problematic
> issue - the use of the TMCH in the context of providing a preemptive,
> perpetual, globally exclusive right to a domain name that far exceeds
> any right granted by any trademark law or treaty.

Very well put.  Just a reminder that there is already a proposal on the
table to eliminate the Sunrise.  From what I can tell we haven't
officially come to discussing it yet but I trust that we will.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122