[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items from the GNSO Review of all RPMs in all gTLDs PDP WG Call - 8 June 2017

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 13:59:37 UTC 2017

It's very one dimensional to characterize RPMs merely as restrictions that
"favor trademark holders."  RPMs also inure to the benefit of consumers and
to security and trust on the Internet.  There is a significant correlation
between "cybersquatted" domains that violate trademark rights and other
forms of abuse (e.g., phishing, spearphishing, malware distribution, data
breach, fraud, etc. -- not even mentioning IPR-related forms of abuse).
There are a host of reasons that RPMs are consistent with the public
interest.

If, e.g., trademark-based LPRs are in scope for this group, we should treat
them as I (and others) have suggested with so-called private protections --
as objects for study in the larger ecosystem but not within our scope for
"regulation."  Think of them as "non-playable" characters in this video
game.

If we are going to study any so-called private protections, should we also
be studying RPMs offered completely outside the larger gTLD ecosystem, such
as ccTLD based protections, legal recourse, private sales, etc.?

Note that I am not expressing an opinion whether GI-based LPRs are in scope
for this group.

Greg