[gnso-rpm-wg] A Proposal for Smarter Non-Exact Matches

Winterfeldt, Brian J. BWinterfeldt at mayerbrown.com
Wed May 31 18:28:32 UTC 2017

Dear all:

In response to a comment made on our call today suggesting that the attached, well drafted, proposal is a “comprehensive” representation of cybersquatting through non-exact matches, we offer a few additional examples:

1.       Telescoped Terms:  These variations leverage TLD extensions as part of an identical or non-exact match trademark.  For example, COCA-CO.LA, SIE.MEN and NES.CAFE.

2.       Related Brand Names:  These variations either improperly attempt to use trademarks in a generic sense, or create consumer confusion concerning the relationship between two or more otherwise unrelated trademarks.  For example, GOOGLELINKEDIN.COM.

We are no longer surprised by the new and inventive ways cybersquatters develop each day to create consumer confusion online, and would strongly caution against any characterization as truly comprehensive.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian J. Winterfeldt
Co-Head of Global Brand Management and Internet Practice
Mayer Brown LLP