[gnso-rpm-wg] Availability of Court for Domain Name owners challenging a URS decision -- false assumption?

Dorrain, Kristine dorraink at amazon.com
Tue Nov 28 02:25:21 UTC 2017

A long long time ago, Korea had a similarly worded law (that was changed a while back).  Essentially, the rule was that if a complainant won a UDRP (or court) case in Korea, the only remedy was cancellation.  Even if the UDRP panel ordered “transfer.”  The law was written with KIDRC in mind (.kr) but the wording essentially forbade Korean registrars from transferring the domain name.  The ADNDRC was instrumental in explaining the issue to lawmakers, starting with the judiciary, and getting the law changed so that the law no longer clashes with the UDRP.  I don’t recall the exact wording of the law, but it was similar to the wording below. There may be translation issues, and I’m sure the entire text isn’t provided, but the text below does not say the UDRP decision is final and no one can bring a de novo claim.  The text, as I read it, EITHER says that a registrar shall uphold a decision by either a UDRP panel or a court to cancel a domain name OR that the only remedy is cancellation.

I am probably getting in the weeds here, but the point is, we still don’t have any statutes before us that clearly say a UDRP administrative decision is final and cannot be challenged de novo in a court of competent jurisdiction.

Kristine