[gnso-rpm-wg] [Ext] Re: REMINDER re: Nominations for RPM Working Group Co-Chair

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 05:04:38 UTC 2018

*Soundstop*, *Austin Pain* and *SDT* are all *settlements*.  The WIPO page
is entitled "Select UDRP-related Court Cases," which they specify as
"orders and decisions." As settlements, they really are neither court
orders or decisions.  The court just rubber-stamped the private agreement
of the parties.  There's nothing wrong with that, but there's no judicial
value in these actions.  They provide nothing a third party could rely on,
set no precedent, apply no law and make no law.

These are not "successful challenges" in the sense that a court actually
considered the merits of the case and rendered a decision.  They may be
favorable settlements to the respondents, but they do not represent success
in court in the way that a "case" does.  (In law school, when students are
"reading cases" in law school, they are reading decisions; when a lawyer
says she has a "case on this point," she is referring to a decision.) A s
such I wouldn't consider these "cases" at all for this purpose.

Also none of these are relevant to "the other side of the coin, abuse of
the process, reverse domain name hijacking, and the court cases that are
required to achieve justice."  Hopefully, nobody who read this thread
actually thought that these (non)cases represented any of those things, or
thought that WIPO was biased and engaging in a cover-up by "failing" to
post these settlements.  (This seemed to be the undercurrent of the
argument, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it.)

In other words, WIPO did the right thing with regard to *Soundstop*, *Austin
Pain* and *SDT*.

*Moobitalk* is different -- it is an actual court decision (indeed, two
court decisions), which I think would be of some interest to those looking
for court decisions reflecting the outcome of judicial challenges to UDRP
cases.  In this instance, I would join George in requesting (respectfully,
in my case) that WIPO post the decisions in this case on the "Select
UDRP-related Court Cases" page.

Again I should note that *Moobitalk* doesn't appear to demonstrate "the
other side of the coin, abuse of the process, reverse domain name
hijacking, and the court cases that are required to achieve justice," and
also note that none of this is relevant to Brian's fitness or
appropriateness to serve as Co-Chair of this WG.  For that purpose, this is
a "frolic and detour."

Greg