[gnso-rpm-wg] URS / UDRP proposals -- data on registrar/registry compliance costs

Paul Keating paul at law.es
Fri Sep 7 17:20:07 UTC 2018

Jonathan,

Thanks for the clarification.

	when a party prevails in a URS case, the domain is locked for the life of the domain registration: "Immediately upon receipt of the Determination, the Registry Operator shall suspend the domain name, which shall remain suspended for the balance of the registration period and would not resolve to the original web site. "

This raises the issue of the disparity when a domain is only registered for a 1-yr period or longer.  I would presume most domains subject to a URS are short-term (1-yr registration).

In any case the registrar has received the registration fee it bargained for.  It was aware of the URS/UDRP enforcement mechanisms at the time of registration.  It could have imposed a fee or charged a higher price.  If it chose not to do so then such is life.  Either way i see no reason to now transfer the costs to someone else.

Sent from my iPad