[GNSO-RPM-WG] Deadline for Additional Data is Tomorrow

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Feb 13 05:24:26 UTC 2019

P.S. Here's a sample of articles/data sources that ICANN staff could have
found since August 2017, but didn't, that would be suppressed if the
deadline of today holds to submit these, via the Google Form (which INTA
didn't have to use to submit their "survey"):

1. original posted in August 2017, data on past sunrises, see:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-August/002321.html

which demonstrate a massive decrease in sunrise utilization for new
gTLDs, compared to those past sunrises:

"I was looking for stats
on the .eu sunrises, and perhaps others have better sources, but
according to a Google search for ".eu sunrise period registrations
total" one of the hits was to the book "Information Technology Law"
(Diane Rowland et al), it stated there were 346,218 applications filed
for 245,908 different domain names. Those numbers don't provide a
citation, but they seem consistent with a Eurid report:

https://eurid.eu/media/filer_public/1d/1e/1d1ef034-e097-41ad-99b1-1a0d5814f316/quarterly_2006_q2.pdf

which states (page 9) that the validation agent had validated (while
sunrise validations were still in progress) 140,000 applications.

I couldn't find the .info stats (although I did find that there were
more than 15,000 *challenges* to sunrise registrations, see
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/reports/info-sunrise/report/index.html,
so the aggregate total must have been much higher ),  but I did find
the .asia ones, where there were 30,780 sunrise domain applications:

https://www.dot.asia/asia-sunrise-completed-with-over-30000-domain-applications/

Calzone.org provided their own stats:

http://calzone.org/tld/calzonenews/2014/03/04/rolling-average-for-tld-sunrises-will-this-trend-continue/

.xxx sunrise: 80,000 blocks (2011)
.co sunrise: 11,000 domains (2010)
.asia sunrise: 32,000 domains (2008)
.mobi sunrise: 15,000 domains (2006)
.eu sunrise: 140,000 domains (2006)
.biz IP claims: 80,000 (2001)"

2.
http://domainincite.com/22951-googles-app-gtld-beats-porn-to-biggest-sunrise-yet

3.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140613_all_new_gtld_registrations_should_be_subject_to_sunrise_periods/

4.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/eff_cautions_against_unfair_tld_policies_offers_recommendations_on_choosing/

Article links to:
https://www.eff.org/wp/which-internet-registries-offer-best-protection-domain-owners
https://www.eff.org/files/2017/08/02/domain_registry_whitepaper.pdf

5.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150302_dot_green_gtld_domain_name_delusion_general_gtld_disaster/

6.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150414_icann_dot_wtf_ftc_oca_asked_whether_sucks_is_a_law_breaker_part_i/
and
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150415_icann_dot_wtf_ftc_oca_asked_whether_sucks_is_a_law_breaker_part_ii/

(articles link to many other blogs/letters, too)

7.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160210_markmontitor_looks_at_progress_on_new_gtld_program_in_report/

8.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150625_is_sucks_pricing_model_gaining_traction_with_other_registries/

9.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150511_vox_populi_registry_says_enough_about_sucks_accusations/

10. http://www.circleid.com/posts/20180105_new_tld_launch_lessons_learned/

11.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150312_trademark_claims_notice_suppression_of_non_infringing_new_gtld/

12.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130501_icann_board_asked_to_review_decision_to_expand_trademark_rights/

13. http://domainincite.com/19235-third-icm-windfall-due-as-sex-hits-sunrise

14.
http://domainincite.com/18503-businesses-call-on-regulators-to-stop-sucks-extortion

15.
http://domainincite.com/18326-breaking-icann-reports-sucks-to-the-ftc-over-predatory-pricing

16.
http://domainincite.com/18246-halt-perverted-sucks-shakedown-now-demands-ipc

17. http://domainincite.com/18124-porn-now-the-biggest-new-gtld-sunrise

18.
http://domainincite.com/17071-moscow-beats-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0-22-to-1-in-sunrise

19.
http://domainincite.com/16926-icann-smacks-new-gtlds-for-pre-sunrise-auctions

20.
http://domainincite.com/16718-how-much-are-new-gtlds-really-costing-trademark-owners-we-have-some-numbers

21.
http://domainincite.com/21632-feedback-gtld-in-breach-of-contract-after-big-brand-fraud-claims

22.
http://domainincite.com/21033-squabbling-drug-peddlers-drag-pharmacy-into-brand-bunfight

23.
http://domainincite.com/20602-sucks-terminates-com-laude-as-gag-order-row-escalates

24.
http://domainincite.com/19615-feedback-regs-fox-trademark-to-itself-during-sunrise

25.
http://domainincite.com/19560-forget-sucks-feedback-will-drive-trademark-owners-nuts-all-over-again

26.
http://domainincite.com/19521-cars-domains-to-start-at-45000-retail-for-2500

27. http://domainincite.com/18746-sucks-made-millions-from-sunrise

28.
http://domainincite.com/18651-are-new-gtld-registries-ripping-off-brands-with-unfair-sunrise-fees

29.
http://domainincite.com/18295-aids-sucks-at-1-5-million-and-other-sucks-premium-weirdness

30.
http://domainincite.com/15981-go-daddy-risking-oscars-wrath-with-buzz-premium-domains

31.
http://domainincite.com/15688-first-donuts-new-gtld-sunrise-periods-looking-tiny

32.
http://domainincite.com/15491-donuts-picks-young-british-firm-for-sunrise-disputes

33. http://www.domainpulse.com/2016/09/20/blog-gtld-flying-sunrise-start/

34. http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2016/dailyposts/20160120.htm

35.
https://www.thedomains.com/2017/09/18/boston-domain-extension-off-to-slow-start-with-just-170-domains-registered-in-sunrise/

36.
https://www.thedomains.com/2014/03/31/more-trademark-clearing-house-abuse-texas-venture-triggers-notice/

37.
https://www.thedomains.com/2015/09/05/google-registers-alphabet-sex-in-sunrise-how-did-they-do-that-more-generics-reg-as-tm/

38.
https://www.thedomains.com/2017/07/10/new-gtld-health-ends-sunrise-period-287-registrations/

39.
https://www.thedomains.com/2014/08/27/global-ends-sunrise-with-almost-400-registrations-apple-registers-22/

40.
https://www.thedomains.com/2014/08/26/website-gets-over-630-sunrise-domain-registration-2nd-highest-of-any-new-gtld/

41.
https://www.thedomains.com/2014/03/11/brands-finally-find-a-new-gtld-they-like-for-sunrise-company-has-a-few-hundred/

42.
https://www.thedomains.com/2015/07/07/from-cbs-to-cnn-to-fox-to-google-new-gtld-news-has-almost-500-sunrise-registrations/

43.
https://www.thedomains.com/2014/04/08/uniregistry-gets-300-sunrise-gift-registrations-as-jj-goes-in-heavy-but-dont-buy-me-these/

44.
https://www.thedomains.com/2013/11/08/ncsg-icann-board-staff-violation-of-corporate-bylaws-by-imposing-tm50-policy-on-gnso/

45.
http://domainincite.com/15422-uniregistry-plans-dot-spanning-sunrise-periods-and-anti-gaming-protection

As these 'additional data sources" won't even be reviewed next week, there
is no good justification for a deadline of today for these and other
sources that members of this PDP might want to submit. An early deadline
just suppresses them (above have data on all sides of the debate, some
helpful for TM-owners).