[GNSO-RPM-WG] ICE domain name seizures -- potential source of data for RPM PDP?

Scott Austin SAustin at vlplawgroup.com
Thu Jan 3 00:51:21 UTC 2019

aaaz zzazzzzzzzzzzz x

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
From: George Kirikos <icann at leap.com>
Date: 1/2/19 4:13 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: gnso-rpm-wg <gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [GNSO-RPM-WG] ICE domain name seizures -- potential source of data for RPM PDP?

Hi Theo,

If it was only about copyright issues, then the list will likely be
useless, as I agree that it's out of our scope.

But, it's possible (as per the TechDirt article) that it was actually
TM issues too, in which case ICE might have gone after cybersquatting.
One will be able to quickly determine things by looking at the actual
list of domains.

In the last paragraph of the TechDirt article, the author writes:

"I've fired off a FOIA request asking for the details of these
"seized" domains and the communications with those industry partners.
Should ICE ever decide to obey the law and respond to the FOIA, we'll
share it here."

But, perhaps someone else here already has the list and is allowed to
publish it.

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.leap.com%2f&c=E,1,fAR-D7DPnn63dhSBaYweBS_8pXxFGL-LNgmvPdcLKBsDbkkeK2qhsBKrEP6yxHtrrqVNjhSsDsa8v0duKwxmNh222HN72RxVyg10MOYKZpE,&typo=1

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 4:03 PM theo geurts <gtheo at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> Is a full list going to help us here? ICE is focussed on copyright "issues."
> Sure we can discuss if they do it correctly or not, but it seems to be
> out of our scope.
> Our bylaws are pretty clear, not to mention;
> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-is-not-the-internet-content-police
>
> Feel free to correct me, I somewhat lost track of this group, so I
> apologize in advance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Theo Geurts CIPP/E
>

> On 2-1-2019 17:48, George Kirikos wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Happy New Year.
> >
> > There was news about ICE seizing over 1 million domain names, see:
> >
> > https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.ice.gov%2fnews%2freleases%2fover-million-websites-seized-global-operation&c=E,1,y5e9NxkBPD6Z1Wi3s_3mhRToC4xYaY1rL5gri7w36W1FUeGM7b8WuGlbRUXCWCp5MAAAVnN-x4kzxc-6hYFKA6_iyA-Y-egh5a9jPqo2&typo=1
> >
> > https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20181213/18030341224/ice-seizes-over-1-million-websites-with-no-due-process-apparently-unaware-that-copyright-trademark-are-different.shtml
> >
> > I was curious whether anyone (maybe a registrar, registry, or TM
> > holders who were involved, i.e. the "industry partners") has and can
> > share the complete list of domain names that were seized, as that
> > might be a potential source of data for our work.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > George Kirikos
> > 416-588-0269
> > https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.leap.com%2f&c=E,1,pWby4F50TwvJkw0nmk7x0LPOyxrpYkyVfUfxjCijCSxit-vmTY3HRrZY6_tGMNMaCkm0AuDgpnPRJE7SEEkZzP4Gl8QgUJ09rzt45_I6EDyyoQUmkvWYtal47bG-&typo=1

This message contains information which may be confidential and legally privileged. Unless you are the addressee, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please send me an email and delete this message. Any tax advice provided by VLP is for your use only and cannot be used to avoid tax penalties or for promotional or marketing purposes.