[GNSO-RPM-WG] Re; Updated Proposal re TMCH/Design Marks

Zak Muscovitch zak at muscovitch.com
Tue Sep 10 17:36:12 UTC 2019

Dear Co-chairs, Staff and WG members, please see below a revised proposal regarding Question #7 (TMCH/Design Marks):

  1.  As per Greg's proposal, where a design mark with words disclaims >>all<< words, it does not enter TMCH.

  1.  As per Greg's proposal, where a design mark with words disclaims >>some but not all words<< it does enters the TMCH.

  1.  Where a design mark with words is permitted into the TMCH, it entitles the mark holder to a Claims Notice, but not a Sunrise priority.

  1.  The Claims Notice would have to specify inter alia, that it is notifying prospective registrants of someone claiming to have rights corresponding to the domain name, but that not in all cases does having a design mark confer rights over the words inside, or something to that effect.

  1.  Design marks consisting of a single letter, e.g. a stylized or graphical "i", whether disclaimed or not, do not go into the TMCH.
This proposal has been circulated amongst some stakeholders for feedback (with mixed results), however I am now sharing it with the entire Working Group.

Zak Muscovitch
General Counsel, ICA

Muscovitch Law P.C.
zak at muscovitch.com<mailto:zak at muscovitch.com>