[GNSO-RPM-WG] Public Comment Analysis Summary Document - URS Proposals 1-3, 6, 11, 13, 15, 22, 26

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 18:15:54 UTC 2020

Phil,

Just to clarify, my statement to Paul (which you quoted in your reply) was
to express the notion that final conclusions were not reached based on who
was able to join the last meeting.

What percentage of WG members joined that meeting (I honestly don’t know);
if a meaningful number where not able to participate, that needs to be
taken into consideration when assessing the level of consensus.

The WG Guidelines promote an open and inclusive process, so any WG member
who wants to make comments on the list are encouraged to make them so the
views of the full WG are incorporated. Those comments are to be considered,
on subsequent calls, on equal footing with any comments made during a prior
meeting.

In other words, my point was the issue is not closed and shouldn’t be
closed until everyone is able to weigh in. But just as importantly, until
my comments (as the proponent) are weighed in their proper context, which
is especially important here where the proposal was not fully understood or
appreciated.

As I noted, I could have clarified a lot of this misinformation had I been
able to join the prior meeting (I have not yet reviewed the entire
transcript, which I can do so later if need be).

Finally, as I previously expressed, I disagree with how the discussion on
Proposal 6 was teed up by presenting the results of the public comments
disfavorably in a quantitative 2-1 analysis “against”.

I’m not sure if this was based on the staff, the subteam work product,
personal comments, or some combination thereof, but either way I disagree
with this straightforward description or assessment of the public comments.

So while I’m left confused as to who calculated the
“2–1” number, and why it was presented that way, it is not as important to
me at the moment. Putting the numbers aside, it’s more important to read
what the comments actually say, and whether solutions can be developed to
address the stated concerns. Some comments expressed flat-out opposition,
but many did not, and that’s my point.

This is a good example of where, on certain topics, public comments are
more nuanced. And generally speaking they should be considered
qualitatively and on the merits.

For example, some commentators selected “Do No Support” but then provided
comments reflecting openness to the idea if certain conditions are
satisfied, or expressed concerns that I would describe as conditional, and
then indicated “Significant Change Required” in order to reach the level of
agreement.

Moreover, since some comments are based on a small, but important,
misunderstanding of the proposal, for that reason alone, I think
Significant Change Required can be achieved to meet some of the expressed
concerns (at least for some of the commenters) along with other reasons.
And there were plenty of comments in support from major stakeholders groups
representing large numbers of members. That’s why I believe the level of
opposition (as described in the public comments) was overstated or
misstated. That, of course, is going to influence the WG discussion that
takes place after that assessment is made. But what’s done is done.

I believe you are saying at least something similar when you invited my
open comments on why this topic should remain open for the time being, so I
very much appreciate that gesture. I don’t want to digress too much, just
wanted to clarify certain points.

Cheers,
Claudio