[Gnso-ssc] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from GNSO Standing Selection Committee call on 06 September 2017 at 18:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Wed Sep 6 21:37:57 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for the GNSO Standing Selection Committee held on 06 September 2017 at 18:00 UTC.

Mp3:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-06sep17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]

AC recording:  https://participate.icann.org/p9d3nuimvti/

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:   https://community.icann.org/x/3hghB

Attendees:

Maxim Alzoba

Julf Helsingius

Susan Kawaguchi

Osvaldo Novoa
Lori Schulman
Renata Aquino Ribeiro

Apologies:

Frederic Guillemaut

Poncelet Illelji

Rafik Dammak

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Emily Barabas

Michelle DeSmyter

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 06 September 2017

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the GNSO Standing Selection Committee meeting on Wednesday, 06 September 2017 at 18:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_3hghB&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=AgpQ86laYGKHfbYOxyH93i1wjWicuGE1EteNYDHeWlY&s=RKAJ85iyiMYEix7K028IHFxbfEODTr1ndrad7jC77fc&e=
  Susan Kawaguchi:do you mind dialing out to me ? 408 655 6111
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):Hello All
  Michelle DeSmyter:I will send another reminder
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):good
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Hi just muted my mic
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:not sure if there was audio from me
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):Lori was going to drop RPM calltoo for this one
  Emily Barabas:This was the best slot per the doodle poll :(
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:but I'll be here and test it again if needed
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ah purple better
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Yes me too
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):it is 30 minutes of that left
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:cool
  Marika Konings:yes we do
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:we record them but release if it is asked only right?
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):Q1 was well formed I assume :)
  Marika Konings:the recordings are publicly posted, unless you decide differently
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:tks Marika
  Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome Lori!
  Emily Barabas:@Maxim, you can ignore Q1. That was just so we could track who had responded :)
  Lori Schulman:Hi
  Lori Schulman:was on RPM call which runs to 2:30 today. sigh..
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:minor one to: I am now the mentor of the Global Indigenous Program - ALAC program
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):RySG made another call for GAC Liasion application
  Marika Konings:@Renate - the charter notes the following: Unless otherwise directed by the GNSO Council, the names of all applicants and all documentsreceived during the selection process shall be considered public and published on the GNSO web-siteor other ICANN web-site. To facilitate its deliberations, the SSC may decide to conduct some or all ofits deliberations in private, but if so, it is expected to provide a rationale with its recommendations.
  Emily Barabas:https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-87RXWCMK8/
  Julf Helsingius:The web page is pretty good
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Marika thanks noted
  Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome Osvaldo
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I meant RySG asked members to consider sending an application
  Emily Barabas:if it is easier to view on the site
  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all, sorry I am late.
  Julf Helsingius:I agree, top 3 or 4 is pretty clear
  Susan Kawaguchi:Welcome Osvaldo
  Lori Schulman:Can someone remind me of how many candidates that we will endorse?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:agree top 4 is pretty clear
  Emily Barabas:3 primary candidates, up to 7 total
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):CPH, RySG and RrSG collectively supported Brian Cute and Stephane Van Gelding (in this particular order) - it is about GNSO support
  Emily Barabas:If you scroll to the bottom of the agenda, you can see each candidate listed with affiliation
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):@Emily - it is official endorsement of SGs
  Emily Barabas:it doesn't indicate endorsement, just membership of SG/Cs
  Julf Helsingius:So I guess top 3 is clear, the question is who we *don't* recommend as additionals
  Julf Helsingius:We have to drop 2, yes
  Marika Konings:You do not need to endorse all
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):what is the final order of candidates - given the poll results
  Lori Schulman:Agree with Julf.  I would nominate top 3-4 and maybe 2 more for diversity.
  Marika Konings:you have the option to, but you are expected to ensure that whoever you put forward meet the requirements for GNSO endorsement
  Osvaldo Novoa:I lost my audio, I am disconnecting and connecting again
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I think we need to start from readiness to fill roles and then we make choice based on diversity
  Osvaldo Novoa:Back again, sorry
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I support 7
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):seats request
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:7
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):Do we have an order derived from the poll?
  Julf Helsingius:7 in total?
  Marika Konings:@Maxim, if you look at the ranking for the last two questions the ranking is consistent
  Marika Konings:but you may also want to factor in the responses to the other two questions
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):is there a URL for this PDF?
  Emily Barabas:https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-87RXWCMK8
  Julf Helsingius:i actually applied a bit of gender balancing in my own evaluation
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):What is the current composition if any - so we need to know what should be balanced this time
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):?
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):+1 for fresh blood to add to numbers of those who understand ICANNeze
  Marika Konings:@Maxim - what are you referring to with regards to 'current composition'?
  Julf Helsingius:The questionnaire also had the bias that "don't know" and "no" are pretty much the same
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):+1 Julf
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):@Marika, I meant other seats - do we know who is going to be there?
  Lori Schulman:Agree with Julf about survey questions
  Marika Konings:It looks like only RSSAC has endorsed a candidate so far: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_64jRAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=AgpQ86laYGKHfbYOxyH93i1wjWicuGE1EteNYDHeWlY&s=Pp61xRI98W7yDZyqqWdeUqegPjKcdGrgnK8SvLz3iWw&e=
  Julf Helsingius:So people we don't know automatically get low ratings
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):@Julf, is this position ment to be for total newcomers? I was under impression that it was actually the call for veterans
  Marika Konings:@Julf - but their application information is expected to provide sufficient information so that people can say 'yes' or 'no' (in an ideal world :-)
  Julf Helsingius:Maxim: sure - we mostly want veterans. But maybe one or two fresh views?
  Marika Konings:If someone is asking for GNSO endorsement, you might expect that they would explain why they are ideally suited to represent the GNSO?
  Julf Helsingius:Marika: true
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):+1 Julf, but not at cost of veterans suitable
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):@Marika, RySG and RrSG expressed their support - does it count as GNSO endorsement?
  Marika Konings:No, GNSO endorsement is the result of a Council vote (following the SSC recommendations)
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID)::)
  Julf Helsingius:ouch!
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:oops lowered the hand
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:tatiana to top3
  Julf Helsingius:Dropping Stephane?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:so we send 5 males / 2 females but stephane on 4
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):???
  Julf Helsingius:And we haev a really bad track record with regional balance
  Marika Konings:Note that both Brian and Stephane as well as Wolfgang and Tatiana are from the same SG (RySG and NCSG respectively)
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):Do we have a particular reason to drop the candidate supported by both RrSG and RySG?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:we can send 7 right?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:it is up to GNSO to consider right?
  Julf Helsingius:7, but 3 primary, right?
  Marika Konings:correct
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):professional experience was number 1
  Marika Konings:SO/AC chairs may consider alternates to ensure sufficient diversity in the overall slate
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:yes I thin of the 1/3 women who applied we should send 1
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):was it?
  Julf Helsingius:Do we want to punt and leave the "3 out of 4" to the council?
  Marika Konings:I don't think the Council would be happy to make that decision ;-)
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):Brian and Stephane (in case we have 3 - than Brian)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:brian and stephane
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:are the supported
  Lori Schulman:I would not "punt"
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:we have asked for the inclusion of a 4th before
  Julf Helsingius:I interpreted Renata's suggestion to be basically punting
  Marika Konings:@Renate - and that was not easy to get agreement on that as it is dependent on the agreement of the other SO/AC Chairs
  Julf Helsingius:he won't be able to do that too often
  Marika Konings:they may not be willing to do that a second time (and for RDS there is a clear case to make that it is GNSO centric)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:so just for clarification we are not sending the 7?
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):back
  Julf Helsingius:We are possibly sneding 7, but with a top 3
  Lori Schulman:wasn't the 7 optional?
  Osvaldo Novoa:I support the top three that resulted from the poll.
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):+1 for sending 7, and ranking top 3
  Marika Konings:You may send 7 names to the GNSO for endorsement, but only 3 get a guaranteed seat, the other 4 may be considered by the SO/AC Chairs for a place, but only if there are places available and there is a concern about diversity
  Julf Helsingius:we need 3, plus possibly up to 4 more
  Lori Schulman:I don't have a big issue with sending 7 but think that leaving 2 Asian applicants out looks a bit weird
  Marika Konings:and yes, up to 4 alternates, no requirement though
  Lori Schulman:but as long as we can justify it, we can do what we think is best
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok I would ask then we send the 7, send the top 3 and note for GNSO that there was a minority of women applications and gender balance was a considerable challenge
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):not sure up to the top of 3
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:and ask for the 4th
  Lori Schulman:agree with Renata
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):according to the poll?
  Julf Helsingius:Renata's suggestion makes sense
  Osvaldo Novoa:Agree to asking for the 4th, but in the order of the poll
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I think we need to understand the order of 7 and then we see top 3
  Julf Helsingius:I am against asking for 4, but support pointing out diversity issue
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I am not sure 4th candidate is going to be supported at all
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):on GSNO Council level
  Julf Helsingius:So propose 3 + 4, and express diversity concerns
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:RSSAC appointment is also male
  Osvaldo Novoa:I support Julf's proposal
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):could we suggest that top 3 have great score difference with others and due to diversity concerns we suggest 4th (and well formed justification)
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I meant to report that top 3 have way more points then other candidates
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):but we'd like to have another seat considered
  Julf Helsingius:I am against asking for extra seat
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:The top 4 are balanced RySG/ NCSG
  Lori Schulman:I say choose 7 and then rank
  Marika Konings:maybe the question is whether NCSG would consider flipping their candidates for diversity? (in the top 4)
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):+1 Lori
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:and as for regional diversity, Tatiana is Russian but she's in EU right now, does that count?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I saw RSSAC is Asian region?
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):according to her CV she spent many years outside of Russia
  Lori Schulman:Not sure
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:agree on sending top 7, highlighting top 3 and asking for a 4th for diversity
  Julf Helsingius:A bunch of asian representatives are born elsewhere too.
  Lori Schulman:Julien had excellent credentials for analytical work
  Lori Schulman:this is tougher than I thought
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I would flip only 3rd w/ 4th for diversity, not the 2nd
  Lori Schulman:practically, we should cut last 2 and than rank
  Lori Schulman:then rand
  Lori Schulman:sorry for typos
  Marika Konings:It looks like it is either two RySG or two NCSG in the top 3
  Osvaldo Novoa:I don't support modifying the order of the poll.
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I think we were meant to have balance within the particular team and not with others
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):ok
  Julf Helsingius:Yes, I would support that
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Julf, about the Asian representatives being born elsewhere, I understand that allocation to a region has domicile or work address, so that's the question - one may study in EU but still have their house in Asia or elsewhere
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I think it was related to working place
  Julf Helsingius:Renata:  according to that criteria Tatiana is EU, right?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):according to AGB Russia was EU
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i am answering ok rank according to the poll
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):+1 for rank from the voting page 9-10
  Marika Konings:Correct, Tatiana is listed as European (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_64jRAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=AgpQ86laYGKHfbYOxyH93i1wjWicuGE1EteNYDHeWlY&s=Pp61xRI98W7yDZyqqWdeUqegPjKcdGrgnK8SvLz3iWw&e=)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I am wondering if we are trying the 4th or not?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i think expressing it would be goot
  Julf Helsingius:Express concern, but not ask for it
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:good
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):if we ask for 4 then definitely 7 will not work
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:and highlighting that mroe women should volunteer for wgs
  Julf Helsingius:yes
  Marika Konings:I think we have included that as well in one of the previous motions
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:yes definitely they should encourage women to apply
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:can we say the proportion?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:that out of 9, only 3 were women?
  Marika Konings:Staff can also prepare a draft motion for your review
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:tks that's good for me
  Marika Konings:note that the deadline for motions is coming up shortly (10 September)
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):P.s: and it would be great to have at least one candidate for GAC liasion
  Marika Konings:so we may need to submit a placeholder if more time is needed to finalise and/or get everyone's input
  Marika Konings:Deadline for applications is 8 September
  Marika Konings:None submitted so far (as I am aware)
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I asked RySG to repeat request for volunteers on the RySG call today
  Julf Helsingius:I might have to recuse myself
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:question: was there ever a gac liason non ex-council?
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):@Julf, I think you are going to be well supported
  Osvaldo Novoa:I am considering presenting my application.  Should I abandon this call?
  Julf Helsingius:Same question as Osvaldo
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):If both Osvaldo and Julf want to apply for we need to say when to drop the call
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):actually I think that 2 candidates is way better that 1 (at least twice)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:well i'll just apply then too, for gender balance :)
  Julf Helsingius:Well, we can't apply, it is up to constitutiencies...
  Marika Konings:do note that candidates need to be put forward by a SG/C - not individual applications.
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:thanks Marika
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I was actually not serious :) I've seen that women are less than a 1/3 :D
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:tks Susan
  Marika Konings:yes, several reminders have gone out
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):Do we know if the SG has to support only it's members?
  Emily Barabas:SO/AC support sent out a reminder last week
  Julf Helsingius:I have my usual issue of NCA's not being a constituency
  Julf Helsingius:Who is my leadership team? :)
  Osvaldo Novoa:I received the announcement last week from my constituency
  Marika Konings:@Julf - didn't you just share that you joined a constituency?? ;-)
  Julf Helsingius:Well, yes, gues so
  Julf Helsingius:I will
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):I have a question
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:yes Julf, c'mon
  Marika Konings:No, they can put forward anyone they want to support
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):ok
  Marika Konings:no requirement for SG/C affiliation
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:?
  Julf Helsingius:I didn't hear that :)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i am not understanding
  Marika Konings:but it could be a requirement that SG/Cs could apply themselves, but it is definitely not restricted in that way in the call for applications
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok clear susan
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):@Renata, It was about the persons having support from SG/C even if they are not members of that particular SG/C
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ah ok Maxim... tks
  Emily Barabas:Do we want to use the same time slot on the 13th?
  Lori Schulman:It conflicts with RPM becasue RPM has been extended by 30 mins
  Julf Helsingius:Ok with me
  Lori Schulman:can we start 1/2 hour later?
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):doodle for the next poll is always a good idea .. this time I lost last 30 minutes of RPM
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):too
  Julf Helsingius:have WS2 transparency immediately afterwards, but can excuse myself
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i'd aks for a doodle, lacnic and so many things coming up
  Emily Barabas:Doodle?
  Julf Helsingius:way too many
  Emily Barabas:Sure :)
  Marika Konings:good point Renate - we may need some alternates for those that may apply from the SSC
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):As I understood the person applying is going to visit all GAC meetings
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):need sot
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):to
  Marika Konings:other work is a review of the SSC charter - staff will be preparing some materials in that regard
  Julf Helsingius:right
  Maxim Alzoba(FAITID):Do we have a chance to invite Carlos to ask his opinion of the candidate qualifications / time scheduling e.t.c.?
  Marika Konings:so that you can focus on that after the GNSO Liaison to the GAC
  Emily Barabas:And perhaps also discussion of the Standard Process document
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok tks for the replies
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Thanks!
  Julf Helsingius:Thanks!
  Lori Schulman:thanks susan
  Lori Schulman:ciao