[Gnso-ssr] Broken TMCH?

Kal Feher Kal.Feher at ariservices.com
Thu Feb 20 23:43:00 UTC 2014

I find these kinds of vague assertions troubling. Not only do they cause drama with little path to resolution, they also increase the barrier to participation in working groups because new entrants are expected to know (intuitively? through osmosis?) these issues in order to discuss them.

So if you take nothing else from my email, I ask that everyone please at least clarify predictions of doom with actual evidence matching the prediction.

The advice linked in the email is generic advice regarding LGRs. I'm not clear how a malign TMCH label can cause harm in a registry with label generation rules that enforce homogeneity and prevent cross language/script homographic attacks. Is this advice for Registries that aren't using effective LGRs? Is this advice for the TMCH being sued because said malicious registrant can't actually use their SMD effectively (because registries prevent the label)? Is this a legal risk or a risk to infrastructure or DNS consumers? Are we going to address legal risks on this mailing list?

What can't we trust the TMCH for? What is the risk? <- again is it legal, infrastructure, other..?

I'm concerned that TLDs may not be meeting their SLAs. Is there a mechanism we can use to exchange examples and suggestions without turning it into a finger pointing exercise?
My understanding of EBERO activation is that it is primarily a mechanism to protect registrants and DNS consumers. Are they at risk?

Are contracts a Security, Stability or Resiliency issue? (I realise this post was from another mailing list, where contracts may be of relevance)

Kal