[Gnso-ssr] Broken TMCH?

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Fri Feb 21 06:00:17 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-21 00:43, Kal Feher wrote:
> I find these kinds of vague assertions troubling.

The statements where made during a telephone conference between SO/AC/SG
chairs, and is copied text from the telephone conference adjacent chat
room. They are definitely not conclusive descriptions of the situation.

What people also should have a look at to know the status of advice is
the tracking mechanism for advice to the board. You can find the tracker
here for the TMCH issues:

<https://www.myicann.org/board-advice#advice-to-board_f=tmch&advice-to-board_d=false>

> The advice linked in the email is generic advice regarding LGRs. I’m not
> clear how a malign TMCH label can cause harm in a registry with label
> generation rules that enforce homogeneity and prevent cross
> language/script homographic attacks.

Please see the SSAC report.

> Is this advice for Registries that
> aren’t using effective LGRs? Is this advice for the TMCH being sued
> because said malicious registrant can’t actually use their SMD
> effectively (because registries prevent the label)? Is this a legal risk
> or a risk to infrastructure or DNS consumers? Are we going to address
> legal risks on this mailing list?

The SSAC document point out that the matching rules used in the TMCH are
not the same as the combination of matching rules plus variant rules,
specifically for non-ascii scripts.

   Patrik