[ICANN Academy WG] WG: post to list regarding pilot SO/AC Leadership training in Toronto

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jun 27 10:43:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

I appreciate Filiz's email.

I do not think, however, tha it conradicts my impresson.

I came to the meeting thinking that the Extended At-Large organized Academy group was going to spend the hour discussing how to create a pilot for the academy project to be run in Toronto. At Large had presented a basic structure of a curriculum  and I thought we were going to take that and start getting specific about defining the details on the Toronto event.

Instead I found that ICANN staff has decided to  create its own program, a leadership orientation and training program, and that it intends to run a pilot of this program in Toronto.  I understand that this staff program is intersted in perhaps reusing some of the work the At Large Academy WG hard done and even welcomed the assistance of the Extended WG and its members, but that clearly this was not a pilot of the Academy program.

This is ok with me personally, I just found it important to understand the situation.  Personally I was going to have make choices about what items I devoted attention to in preparation for Toronto.  I felt committed to working on the Pilot of the Academy program.  Now I know that I no longer have such a committement as there willnot be a pilot of the Academy prgram.  And that is a good thing to know at this point as I make my personal plans.

As for the Extended At-Large organized Academy group assisting the staff in its program plans to the extent that we are permitted to do so, I think that we need to first hear about the constraints of the Staff's program, how long it is, who controls content, to what exent outside collaboration is intended etc...   Once we know the requirements of the Staff, we can decide as a group, and as individuals, whether we can best utilize our time, assisting the staff in its pilot leadership training and orientation program or by  getting back for  work on the academy's orignal goal of particpant education.  This is a decsion we have to make.  I think in making the decsion it is important to decide whether we want to work on our longer goals or on a one-off that is really beyond our bottom-up control.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Finally I apologze for leaving when I did, I was already half hour late for another meeting I needed to be at but had ditched in favor of work on the Academy pilot I had felt committed to.

avri