[ICANN Academy WG] ICANN Academy - Call for Coaches and Content for the New Chairing Skills Programme

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:56:56 UTC 2016

I am interested in participating.    First, however, I need to ask a couple of questions, as of course, we all need to keep our constituencies/communities informed especially if it is a program that will  compete for funding with other requested funding by the community that submits funding requests into the annual budget.

And, I will need to consult with the BC membership regarding interest and support.

However, I will confirm my overall interest dependent upon  confirming the views of the BC and hear about any budget implications for other standing requests from the community, including the Mentoring Program.

Just in the interest of qualifications: I have summarized some of my experiences and background below:

I am past Chair of the Business Constituency [ three years - elected annually] where I chaired both face to face meetings and our monthly conference calls and Chief Catalyst [aka: chair] of the IGF-USA for 4 years, again, re-confirmed annually.

I have also chaired multiple groups that are inclusive of NGOs, Civil Society and Business and government staff over several years, including the Internet Summit; and most of the events that were non governmental led to the creation of ICANN. I have been chair and vice chair of numerous committees at professional organizations.

I have also chaired and moderated several workshops at IGF over its ten years.

I will note that chairing is as much a private skill and commitment of time, as it is a public role. I hope that the amount of work it takes to be a good chair is part of the suggested discussions. And that the engagement with the supporting staff for any chairing role is also a part of the discussion.   Finally, as we know from within the GNSO Constituencies experience, neutrality of perspective is a baseline requirement and accepting that, when elected, or selected as chair at any of ICANN's various entities, has always been a hallmark of success.

It could be very interesting to invite past chairs, such as Bruce Tonkin, Paul Twomey, Byron, etc. etc. rather than present chairs -- for a roundtable discussion regarding "lessons learned on the job". Paul, Bruce and some others chaired without ICANN staff support [we had none] and then include some of the chairs who had stronger ICANN staff support. After all,we are trying to assess skills that adapt to the various circumstances, which might be chairing a sub working group, or an internal working group, not only the main SO/AC chairing roles. [I hope].

In my view, learning to lead is a learned skill and "leading from behind" can be as much a form of leadership as holding an official title. If I could propose a title change, it would be " building leadership skills", rather than assuming that we are training chairs. Each SO/AC will determine whom it selects/elects as their leader. As we believe in bottom up, consensus approaches, we need to build leadership within organizations, not only "coach" on chairing skills.

Marilyn Cade

Marilyn Cade