[ICANN-CSC] Draft Report for the month of October 2016

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Tue Nov 15 20:03:57 UTC 2016

Thanks Elise

That’s great, thanks.  In contrast to others on this list, this report is almost exactly what I was expecting.

I have some suggested changes and as we’re still to develop our operational procedures I’ll just address them generally and we can decide later how to judge whether others agree and how they should be officially requested if they are agreed:

1.  Can we have the exception reports next to the metrics they refer to rather than at the end - it’s a lot easier to read that way.

2.  The report would benefit from the following additional elements

- a few paragraphs at the front that contain
— a summary of performance
— a one-liner about any developments under way that are likely to have an impact on the SLA
— a brief recap of any issues that have spanned more than one report

- a reference appendix with common terms explained.  This rarely changes but is particularly useful to readers who do not live and breathe this stuff everyday and will forget the meaning/nuances of various terms on a regular basis.

3.  It looks to me as if the targets for technical checks are set too tight and can be loosened to 10m as that will have no noticeable impact on customers and provide an achievable target.

Finally, a more general but crucially important point:

4.  With reference to the delay caused by US holidays - The issue of the global nature of the PTI service is a complex one that the CSC should discuss because it directly concerns customer service.  I recall Fadi explaining that one of the reasons he was setting up global hubs (I hope I have the terminology correct) in Singapore and Istanbul was to allow around the globe service and yet PTI appears to work solely on US West Coast time.

cheers
Jay