[Idngwg] Thoughts about the issues list

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 09:21:11 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

I've had some thoughts about some of the items on the issues list appendix to our meeting of 13 January:

2b.
"Role of reference second level tables in managing consistency and differences across TLDs for a predictable end-user experience"
I would like to suggest that we add the role of reference top level tables to this. The top level tables will have simpler rules than the second level tables and so, if one starts with those, it may be possible to create predictable end-user experiences along the lines of "At the second level, the top level rules apply and in addition:", with hypothetical examples, "Hyphen may also be used"; "Arabic numerals may also be used", etc. Starting with more complex situations at the second level could be more difficult. This is picked up in 2c. (language tables and script tables) and 2d. (consistency); I just think it needs to be added to 2b.

3ci.
"Automatic or registrant requested allocation"
It would be good to add a note, somehow, that registrant requested allocation could only occur before the LGR process is run, not during or after, as there is no organization supervising the process. Registrants could request labels which would then be either OK'd or failed by the process. Is there a reason why the process could not be run unofficially, so that registrants would know the results?

4.
"Similarity/Confusability of labels"
Much more work needed here. Perhaps, as suggested in our last meeting, a repository of existing work would be a good start.

Regards,

Chris.
--
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon>